General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn one steering pump: does it need a cooler?

Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn one steering pump: does it need a cooler?

I've been poking through, and read some of the sticky, regarding the power steering cooler and the headaches it's causing. (What happens? The cooler cracks and leaks fluid into the block?).

While I think the factory design seems like a good idea, the worry of having to flush my cooling system scares me from reusing the factory cooler.

I think I need a new power steering pump anyways (mechanical whine when the rpm's rise, and I'm in a turn), and I was wondering if you can forgo any coolers with the TurnOne pump?

I have sticky 275 wide tires on the front, but I don't see myself entering any road course events in the near future.

Would a more efficient turn one system be okay without a cooler?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the oem power steering cooler really isn't a cooler- it's in the upper radiator hose so it will actually heat the power steering fluid and keep it around 190°F. i suppose this was done for fuel economy reasons, hotter power steering fluid = lower viscosity = less power loss by power steering pump.
I would just undo the power steering hoses to the oem cooler, and connect those hoses together thus bypassing the oem cooler and running without. there are reports in that power steering cooler thread about fluid temps in the reservoir well less than 200° running with no cooler. i would say ideal temps are 120-180°F. you can pick up a digital thermometer from walmart for less than $10 that you can stick in the power steering reservoir and check fluid temp, run with no cooler and check it after driving on a hot day. if you're running over 200° in the reservoir then consider adding an aftermarket cooler.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Unless you are using the car for competition purposes, or live in a very hot climate, I don't really see a need for any cooler (stock or aftermarket) based on my own personal testing and experiences (details contained in PS sticky) - even with the stock pump.

Furthermore, the Turn One pump has been tested to run cooler than stock pumps so you should see some fluid temp reduction just by switching to this pump without any other changes.

If you're willing to change the PS fluid once in a while, you probably wouldn't need a cooler even in a hot climate.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been running a TurnOne PSP for probably 4-5 yrs and haven't felt the need to add a cooler. The only difference you notice while driving is a slightly heavier steering feel.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Turn One pump AND an aftermarket, stacked plate, air to fluid cooler in the return line (with NO thermostat to control the temps).

It actually runs TOO COLD in the winter (daily use/ALL conditions car) to the point that this past brutal winter, I actually had to change to the SUPER thin, crazy high viscosity index, Pentosin CHF 11S fluid in order to keep the pump from complaining (due to way too cold/viscous fluid) in the sub 10*F ambient temps we were getting on a regular basis!!!

So take that into consideration if you feel compelled to install an efficient cooler with the Turn One pump.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Do you actually live in the city of Boston? If so, the increased effort of a TurnOne pump could be hell.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

No, I moved out of the city into the burbs. Is it really that much heavier? Is there another alternative?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wayland1985
No, I moved out of the city into the burbs. Is it really that much heavier? Is there another alternative?
NO, as I said already it's only slightly heavier. Unless of course your arm strength is as low as wssix99!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
NO, as I said already it's only slightly heavier. Unless of course your arm strength is as low as wssix99!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

I walked in to that one. This actually was a big issue for me when I rebuilt my pump I had a torn labrum in my shoulder. I got that fixed, too and now I'm strong - like bull.

I still have nightmares from driving a rental van through downtown Boston but I recall that there are a lot of turns in the roads outside the city, as well. I'm sure the extra effort for the TurnOne enhanced pump isn't a big deal, but I'd think it would get tiring for a lot of daily driving.

I had my pump rebuilt by TurnOne and they did it to stock specs for me, since I do a lot of downtown city driving. It's been great, seems to be high quality, and I was able to have them put their pulley on the unit.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
I walked in to that one. This actually was a big issue for me when I rebuilt my pump I had a torn labrum in my shoulder. I got that fixed, too and now I'm strong - like bull.

I still have nightmares from driving a rental van through downtown Boston but I recall that there are a lot of turns in the roads outside the city, as well. I'm sure the extra effort for the TurnOne enhanced pump isn't a big deal, but I'd think it would get tiring for a lot of daily driving.

I had my pump rebuilt by TurnOne and they did it to stock specs for me, since I do a lot of downtown city driving. It's been great, seems to be high quality, and I was able to have them put their pulley on the unit.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll look into that option. This is a nice weather-weekend cruiser, so I'm not overly concerned about driving effort... But I would hate to have to muscle my way from place to place with sticky 275 tires on a 100 degree day...
Old 05-06-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Hmmm. Maybe I'll look into that option. This is a nice weather-weekend cruiser, so I'm not overly concerned about driving effort... But I would hate to have to muscle my way from place to place with sticky 275 tires on a 100 degree day...
The increase in steering effort is really small, after a few weeks of driving with it you won't even notice it. BTW, I don't even notice it with my smaller Momo steering wheel, it's really not anything to even worry about.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The increase in steering effort is less than swapping in a 25% UD pulley, and its only at very low speeds. Anything over 5mph feels the same to me. Of course I cant tell at all anymore, that was a long time ago when I first put mine on.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wssix99

Okay, I could really see your concern with a shoulder injury especially when you think it might be like driving a rental van with manual steering; but it's not even remotely close.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

The increase in steering effort is really small, after a few weeks of driving with it you won't even notice it. BTW, I don't even notice it with my smaller Momo steering wheel, it's really not anything to even worry about.
Same here, in fact, I did not even notice any more effort AT ALL, even with a 330 mm diameter (< 13" diameter) Sparco aftermarket wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn one steering pump: does it need a cooler?