Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal to have sludge so quickly

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Normal to have sludge so quickly

I recently drained radiator and put in Dex-Cool with non distilled water about 3 months ago into my car. Ever since it has developed this think reddish sludge in the radiator. Is this normal temp's and everything are fine never any issues there. I have been thinking of draining it again and trying to flush things out a bit. I won't be able to get the block plugs out and crap for a full flush so would it be okay to just drain radiator fill car up with just water then let it run drain again and repeat a few time's? It's making me nervous with the sludge for sure and I ran with just water for quite a while with no problems. Never really gets cold enough in the south to worry about freezing to much.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes,dex cool tends to sludge a little but i havent heard of any problems as long as its properly maintained.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

It turned my entire radiator red and my cap has like a bubble of sludge on it everytime I take it off. That seems a bit much to me. Hoping I don't have a bad head gasket but it sounds like it's just the dex-cool crap.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

What did you have in there before? Dex-cool doesn't play nice with most other coolant formulas.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
What did you have in there before? Dex-cool doesn't play nice with most other coolant formulas.
it also supposedly doesnt like a perfectly sealed system.

but besides that shitty looking red buildup ive had no problems.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I ran just straight water for over a 2 years without any issues at all. I put coolant in it this year cause temps have been weird down here and didn't wanna risk any block cracking issues. I've also noticed that my radiator will never be full. I fill it up drive it then it goes down about 8-10 cups. It never gets lower than that it just seems strange to never be full since i haven't had any problems I just kinda let it go.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to use distilled water, anything that contaminates it will cause sludge. Also, if you have the stock PS cooler, lookup threads about leaking.

Quick Reply: Normal to have sludge so quickly