Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP Sensor Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MAP Sensor Relocation

I am looking for some information concerning MAP sensor relocation. I am close to installing my new engine. However I need to decide on the location of the Map. Is there any advantaged with locating it from the back of the intake other than ease of installation?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Oh nobody got any info on this?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
Oh nobody got any info on this?
Why do you want to relocate it in the first place?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I relocated mine for a couple reasons. First, the clip I had holding the MAP on the back of the intake seemed to hold it in, but not as securely as I would have liked. Second, I was chasing a SES code that could be caused by a MAP sensor. After having to maneuver around my steam ports (not stock) and the FAST102, I relocated for ease of access. Finally, for some reason, I had a new pigtail for a MAP lying around. While I was relocating it, I used the new pigtail to extend the harness.

All in all, I did it because I was in there and it would make future access a little easier if I ever questioned it again. I dunno, definitely not necessary, just kind of wanted to do it I guess.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burken01
Why do you want to relocate it in the first place?
Burken01, I wasnt really wanting to but it seems as if alot of people are. I am about ready to bolt up the intake and was just thinking about doing it while the engine is still on the stand.

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I relocated mine for a couple reasons. First, the clip I had holding the MAP on the back of the intake seemed to hold it in, but not as securely as I would have liked. Second, I was chasing a SES code that could be caused by a MAP sensor. After having to maneuver around my steam ports (not stock) and the FAST102, I relocated for ease of access. Finally, for some reason, I had a new pigtail for a MAP lying around. While I was relocating it, I used the new pigtail to extend the harness.

All in all, I did it because I was in there and it would make future access a little easier if I ever questioned it again. I dunno, definitely not necessary, just kind of wanted to do it I guess.
themealonwheels, mine will not be stock either and I also will be running a Fast 102 as well and it looks as if its gonna be tight bacl there. You got any pictures of your setup?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I relocated mine, drill and tapped the back of the intake for a 1/8 npt thread..

Used a 1/8-1/4" barb and the mounted the 3 bar map 6 inches away and ran a vaccum hose from the barb to the map.. Pretty easy and yes if you ever have to change it out it'll be easy if you relocate it now
Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burken01
I relocated mine, drill and tapped the back of the intake for a 1/8 npt thread..

Used a 1/8-1/4" barb and the mounted the 3 bar map 6 inches away and ran a vaccum hose from the barb to the map.. Pretty easy and yes if you ever have to change it out it'll be easy if you relocate it now
Burken01, I am sorry but maybe I missed something while looking at mine this evening, but I dont understand what the hose barbs are used for? I am just relocating mine from the rear location to the front where the EGR is at. Am I missing something with the relocation?

Also does anyone know whom offers a good quality extension harness?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bama99z

Burken01, I am sorry but maybe I missed something while looking at mine this evening, but I dont understand what the hose barbs are used for? I am just relocating mine from the rear location to the front where the EGR is at. Am I missing something with the relocation?

Also does anyone know whom offers a good quality extension harness?
There's different ways to do it!

I used a barb fitting and a length of hose then you can mount the map sensor in any location.. Alot of turbo guys do it since the 3 bar gm maps don't directly plug into the intake..

Just cut and splice in more wiring to lengthen it, solder and done!

Quick Reply: MAP Sensor Relocation