Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Two awesome laps at Road America and then engine carnage

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Two awesome laps at Road America and then engine carnage

The car was doing very well until the poor abused LS1 spun a rod bearing on piston 8 (@7:00 into the video). We bagged a 2:45 and a 2:41 lap, and then the rattling started...

Oh well. *sigh* this just pushes forward my 475 HP LS6 build, which is about 80% complete.

sorry for the washed out look of the track, the camera was self-adjusting for the dark car insterior.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl,
So sorry to hear the news. What was your oiling setup on that LS1? Are you on slicks? I am about to start tracking my LS1 and am going to go with the Improved Racing Baffle/Scraper, my stock '02 LS1 (think the the LS1 and LS6 pumps are the same that year) pump and will probably overfill 0.5-1qt but am wondering if I really need to think about an Accusump before hard use like what you put yours through...your car is AWESOME by the way!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering what happened. I was at Canada corner waiting to take a pic of you the next time around and....
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

OK, catch a pic of Karl this time around, and.......
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
OK, catch a pic of Karl this time around, and.......
I switched to the slowest car on the track, my good ol' Grand Prix GXP. Awesome in a straight line, but you really gotta plan ahead if you want to turn the thing. I think the TA averaged 90 through the carousel, and hit 140 at the ends of the big straights. The GP averaged 60 through the carousel and hit 115 if I pushed my luck.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orthopod
Karl,
So sorry to hear the news. What was your oiling setup on that LS1? Are you on slicks? I am about to start tracking my LS1 and am going to go with the Improved Racing Baffle/Scraper, my stock '02 LS1 (think the the LS1 and LS6 pumps are the same that year) pump and will probably overfill 0.5-1qt but am wondering if I really need to think about an Accusump before hard use like what you put yours through...your car is AWESOME by the way!
Thanks! The oiling system was stock 2001 base Corvette everything - batwing pan, stock pump, stock lifters... the whole deal. Engine 2.0 has a high volume Melling pump, and will have an accusump system added. We have a few weeks before the next track weekend, so I'm open to other suggestions.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Thanks! The oiling system was stock 2001 base Corvette everything - batwing pan, stock pump, stock lifters... the whole deal. Engine 2.0 has a high volume Melling pump, and will have an accusump system added. We have a few weeks before the next track weekend, so I'm open to other suggestions.
That will be real nice to have the Accusump. I have been talking about those with Michael@ImprovedRacing and Alan Blaine and one will definitely go on in the future. I have not tracked yet but the general consensus I got from Michael, Alan and Sam Strano was that the Improved Racing Baffles really helped. Is there a reason you aren't going to put one on as it will be really easy for you as the motor is out (I'll be dropping my K member to do it in a few weeks). Through my conversations I am still a bit confused as to whether high volume pumps help or hurt the LS oil starvation issues...what are your thoughts?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know the Accusump will certainly help, but I"ll admit to ignorance on the improved racing baffles. I'll definitely check those out. I've never experienced the oil starvation due to hard sideforce that people have had issues with. Seeing as this failure came at the end of the front stretch, I'm inclined to think this was more of a "normal" oil starvation cause. The engine spent a lot of time at high rpm.

I'm hoping the high volume pump makes a positive difference. I've noticed the the pressure in the now deceased ls1 had been around 30 at hot idle lately, which is lower than I recalled from last year (thinking maybe 35). I probably should inspected it more closely, but was concentrating more on the new engine and hoping this one would last until after the mfba Road America event.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahh! Sorry about the carnage -- it looked like your day was off to such a great start! At least you had a "plan B" and were able to take advantage of the time at an iconic track!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

LS Crank Scraper
Attached Thumbnails Two awesome laps at Road America and then engine carnage-giveaway3.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

We were bummed to hear about the TA up at grid. The car is awesome and down right works. Hopefully you can get back up and running without too much out of pocket.

Paul
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Launching!

I am doing the Improved Racing Baffle and the Crank Scraper on my build just for longevity/reliability purposes and will do the Accusump when I move up to sticky tires after a learning period on street tires.

http://www.improvedracing.com/baffle...ffle-p-30.html

http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling...rs-c-3_50.html
Old 05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like there isn't a baffle set up for my application (C5 LS1/batwing oil pan). The crank scraper, however, looks like a drop in item and cheap insurance.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Looks like there isn't a baffle set up for my application (C5 LS1/batwing oil pan). The crank scraper, however, looks like a drop in item and cheap insurance.
Yes the crank scraper will help get the oil back to the pan where it can be picked up again faster and is pretty cheap. That is too bad they don't make an oil pan baffle for your application but you can always check to see if someone else makes one?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The car sounded so good at the 6:00 minute mark however it went downhill quick! Hope the new build goes well and you can get it back out there soon!
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reckon this guy needs a rod ended panhard bar??

You dont need an accusump with the IR pan baffle, I run my car at stock oil level with Rcomp tires.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Reckon this guy needs a rod ended panhard bar??

You dont need an accusump with the IR pan baffle, I run my car at stock oil level with Rcomp tires.
Yeah, I'd say. I'm surprised he didn't hear his tires scraping the well.

Quick Reply: Two awesome laps at Road America and then engine carnage