Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

twin turbo zl1 w/ stock blower???!!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool twin turbo zl1 w/ stock blower???!!

Looking to possibly do a compound build.. something nobody has. Looking to upgrade My 14 zl1 keeping the stock blower and 2 small twin precision 5862 BB with billet wheel. With of course supporting mods. Upgrades inj.. heat exchanger.. 160 stat. Etc..

Questions are is this worth my time?? Not going all out power. Keeping a.c.. Keeping it as my dd.. just wanted do something different and on later date upgrade internals..

Plz feel free post anything.. this is going to a turbo speed shop getting done. Will this be easy or hard? Looking at 8-850...

Plz people with or knowledge of this chime in. Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Also look looking upgrade cam a little nothing radical just little help with efficiency and flow. Martin Smallwood I'd like for u to chime in. Not going all out power. Still want keep this dd..just a rare one haha
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club

Complete waste of time. Either junk the blower and go twins or run the LSA blower ported and pullied. LSA blower and SBE with post boost methanol will get you over 700rwhp all day on pump gas and be totally driveable and less headache than going twins. If you want more for dragstrip work, you can add some nitrous.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

It'll make more power than the blower alone, but less power than turbos alone. It'll make more heat than either.

I don't see the concern as to if it'll be easy or hard if you aren't doing any of the work.

IMHO, its a waste of time.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Guard dog
Complete waste of time. Either junk the blower and go twins or run the LSA blower ported and pullied. LSA blower and SBE with post boost methanol will get you over 700rwhp all day on pump gas and be totally driveable and less headache than going twins. If you want more for dragstrip work, you can add some nitrous.

Okay I was hoping for close 800 whp..staying on pump. And can I ask why would be waste of time?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeNova
It'll make more power than the blower alone, but less power than turbos alone. It'll make more heat than either.

I don't see the concern as to if it'll be easy or hard if you aren't doing any of the work.

IMHO, its a waste of time.

Just trying to decide before I get the truck to get car hauled off??... and alright. Just looking for explanations.. I've wanted do something that no one has. But didn't want it to be a lot of trouble. Figured people get bored keeping stock blower...
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Only reason I've considered it before.. But not looking for as much as this ctsv... yet...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/1/8...CTS-V-7717999/
Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

What do u guys suggest? I wish I had the 2300 blower instead of the 1900.. the mods yal suggest. Can yal tell me where the kit is for best price? Id love get 8-850 or close.. that'd be enough for me
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ws6guy27
Just trying to decide before I get the truck to get car hauled off??... and alright. Just looking for explanations.. I've wanted do something that no one has. But didn't want it to be a lot of trouble. Figured people get bored keeping stock blower...

You'll definitely have the shock factor and wow factor for car shows and stuff. Blowers are less efficient than turbos. Youll be effectively lowering the efficiency of your turbos. You can still make good power though, so don't think that it can't be done. You're just taking two completely different means to make power and jumbling them together. The heat generated is usually an issue, but its still not impossible. If you feel it necessary to spend this amount of money for that power output then that's your decision.

As far as kits go, good luck. I dont think anyone makes a kit designed to compound the stock blower.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Teching In

You're going to get raped on a garbage kit. Where are you from?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

You'll definitely have the shock factor and wow factor for car shows and stuff. Blowers are less efficient than turbos. Youll be effectively lowering the efficiency of your turbos. You can still make good power though, so don't think that it can't be done. You're just taking two completely different means to make power and jumbling them together. The heat generated is usually an issue, but its still not impossible. If you feel it necessary to spend this amount of money for that power output then that's your decision.

As far as kits go, good luck. I dont think anyone makes a kit designed to compound the stock blower.

Thinking of leaning away from the compound setup. I don't want any Hassel. And I was kinds meaning a kit with like a cam. Cai. Stat. Headers. Ect. Stuff to upgrade with... i wanna try get close to 800 rwhp..
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mel Carlson
You're going to get raped on a garbage kit. Where are you from?

Not a turbo kit. I may keep the stock blower. And just upgrade a few things. Ready to see what it takes to get close to 800 rwhp...and Im in Oklahoma/arkansas..
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrades inj.. heat exchanger.. 160 stat. Etc..
Leave the stock thermostat in it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what Ive learned, compounding a supercharger with turbos never seems to work well. Especially on gas applications where you cant run alot of pressure. Youre adding in drive pressure to the mix with the turbos, I would think the power loss from turning the supercharger would be higher. It just doesnt seem to work well in gas applications.

Ive seen people run whipples with big turbos blowing into them on 12v Cummins before, and depending on what build youre going with it does work somewhat well on those applications. 4psi boost at idle, instant boost, decent top end. Less overall power than a big turbo over a stocker. But cool and works ok enough. Not to mention you cant push too much pressure into the supercharger. I remember something about the lobes twisting and doing all sorts of crazy things when you compound them.

If no one has done something, theres likely a good reason.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Restricted User

Not a turbo kit. I may keep the stock blower. And just upgrade a few things. Ready to see what it takes to get close to 800 rwhp...and Im in Oklahoma/arkansas..
You won't hit 800whp with the stock blower without nitrous. An upgrade will be needed. Upgrade the blower, or go turbo. Either will make your goal. From there it becomes preference.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 123quattro
Leave the stock thermostat in it.
Why keep stock one? Heats no good :/
Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

You won't hit 800whp with the stock blower without nitrous. An upgrade will be needed. Upgrade the blower, or go turbo. Either will make your goal. From there it becomes preference.

Any of yal know how much boost the stock will put out?. I know upgrades like pulleys.. exhaust. Etc lower the boost but produce more power bc it's breathing better
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vwdave
From what Ive learned, compounding a supercharger with turbos never seems to work well. Especially on gas applications where you cant run alot of pressure. Youre adding in drive pressure to the mix with the turbos, I would think the power loss from turning the supercharger would be higher. It just doesnt seem to work well in gas applications.

Ive seen people run whipples with big turbos blowing into them on 12v Cummins before, and depending on what build youre going with it does work somewhat well on those applications. 4psi boost at idle, instant boost, decent top end. Less overall power than a big turbo over a stocker. But cool and works ok enough. Not to mention you cant push too much pressure into the supercharger. I remember something about the lobes twisting and doing all sorts of crazy things when you compound them.

If no one has done something, theres likely a good reason.

Good point. I just contacted Martin @tick for cam specs.. want to upgrade things.. not crazy tho. Really hope hit close 800 rw
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Only reason I've considered it before.. But not looking for as much as this ctsv... yet...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/1/8...CTS-V-7717999/
That article is wrong. SNL ditched the stock blower and went with twins, MAST heads and a Wilson intake manifold. Compound charging in a V equals twin turbo zl1 w/ stock blower???!!-image.jpg
Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Guard dog
That article is wrong. SNL ditched the stock blower and went with twins, MAST heads and a Wilson intake manifold. Compound charging in a V equals Attachment 450285

Ahh gotcha.. well I'm not doing compound.. just want try get close 800 rwhp.. maybe later do a twin setup.. how much and which pulley set is best?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: twin turbo zl1 w/ stock blower???!!