Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock radiator 900 WHP?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock radiator 900 WHP?

Sounds stupid I realize, but I have read several threads of people claiming that a stock radiator can work on a high HP build. My budget is not only gone at this point, I think my wife is going to hack my junk off if I spend another $500 on an aluminum radiator. I want to know if I can use my stock radiator reliably.

Iron 347
twin BW S359
20 PSI
Treadstone TRV259 A2A
meth injection
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy put down 880rwhp on a mustang dyno through a 4L80 with the stock radiator and fans...

Im sure others have done wayyy more, seems to keep his quite cool.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock one will cool fine
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Another concern, Ill be mounting up a Treadstone TRV259S which is a big bitch. It will cover the majority of the front face of the radiator, and therefor the radiator wont get as much airflow....still ok?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The size of your radiator doesn't determine the amount of power you can run, just the length of time you can spend at a certain power level. The more power you're putting down, the less time you'll be able to spend in the throttle. Just watch your temps.

As for the intercooler blocking airflow, you're right. I set my fans to shut off at a higher speed (mph) so they remain on longer while putting around in traffic. Helps keep temps down when there's less air to force through the radiator.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Default stock radiator

i was running the procharger fan on my stock radiator then swaped it out for a spal extream fan, it was either a 15 or 16 inch, it worked good but loud as hell and it was either on of off, IMOP a very bad street set up,

so i looked into diferent fan options and bought the SDCE LS1 F-body fand shroud kit, loaded with a 14" fan and a 10" installed it and it worked beautiful set up and tuned as a double fan again, Carmen (Vette Doctors) had it comming on a little earley first fan at aroundd 170deg and second around 175, I had him change it to around 180 and second one come on areound 190, works perfect, never comes on during highway speeds or above 30-35MPH, i am running a 165 stat , But all of this was done in the fall of 2008 and it was cool up here in NY, so it worked great in those temps, But in the summer it seemed that the stock radiator just heats up to fast at idel or a traffic light etc, so i looked into radiator options , and at the time a lot of LS guys were swapping out there LS1 radiator for the SLP LT1 radiator, so i tryed it, same amount of cores but the the SLP LT1 radiator is 1.25 wide single core and the LS radiator is only about .85-1.00 , the results are the LT1 radiator take longer to heat up at a idel or trafic light comparer to the LS radiator, and by that time the light has changed and you are moving again, Otherwise maybe the LT1 radiator make the LS motor run up to 3-5 degs cooler during high way speeds, between those two things the LT1 radiator is a great choice and is a pretty cheap up grade and best of all it drops right in!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock radiator 900 WHP?