General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

amsoil power foam and engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amsoil power foam and engine flush

just wondering if anybody on here has used amsoil power foam and engine flush in there ls1
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any FOAM top end cleaner will do a good job. Make sure you don't let the can run out before you turn the engine off while spraying it into the FORWARD PASSENGERS side vacuum port on the intake.

I have always used GUNK engine flush.......its a very strong chemical. Just let it idle with it in the engine, no revs, no driving. 15 minutes at idle and youre good. BUT.....if you use an engine flush, you really need to pour 4 qrts of cheap oil in after you drain the old oil and the flush stuff.......run the engine for about 5 minutes, then drain that out.

Too much engine flush chemical will remain behind after you drain it out. That remaining chemical is enough to thin your oil and kill your viscosity, which is very bad for all the bearings. You could have up to 1/3 of a qrt left behind.....that's a lot. Gotta get it ALL out.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Any FOAM top end cleaner will do a good job. Make sure you don't let the can run out before you turn the engine off while spraying it into the FORWARD PASSENGERS side vacuum port on the intake.

I have always used GUNK engine flush.......its a very strong chemical. Just let it idle with it in the engine, no revs, no driving. 15 minutes at idle and youre good. BUT.....if you use an engine flush, you really need to pour 4 qrts of cheap oil in after you drain the old oil and the flush stuff.......run the engine for about 5 minutes, then drain that out.

Too much engine flush chemical will remain behind after you drain it out. That remaining chemical is enough to thin your oil and kill your viscosity, which is very bad for all the bearings. You could have up to 1/3 of a qrt left behind.....that's a lot. Gotta get it ALL out.

Is this something that really ever has to be done? Not saying that it doesn't or shouldn't but - I've got 266,000 miles and have never flushed anything.... and it runs as good as it did when I bought it at 52,000 miles.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Depends on the condition and maintenance that was done. Properly maintained the only thing I would do is have the engine properly decarboned. Engine flushes are more for dirty engine that the oil wasn't changed at proper intervals.

I've had good luck using Gumout High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner http://gumout.com/ourProducts/highMileageFIC.asp

Put it in the tank 5k.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that's the problem I don't know if all the proper maintenance was done on this 01 bird with 95 K

No paper work

but thanks for the help
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

pull a valve cover any questions will be answered.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Is this something that really ever has to be done? Not saying that it doesn't or shouldn't but - I've got 266,000 miles and have never flushed anything.... and it runs as good as it did when I bought it at 52,000 miles.
Never know whats inside the block or in the nooks and crannys of an engine and heads. I personally did an engine flush at every oil change, its just too easy and cheap not to do it. My fully built race 427ci went 173,000, which is pretty amazing. And the failure had nothing to do with a dirty engine or bad oil.......the piston got cocked in the cylinder on the upstroke and snapped the rod. When we tore it down the engine looked new inside......not a spec of dirt or gummy gunky oil deposits....nothing was in there. Bearings looked great too.

But I would say NO.....its not necessary for engines that have oil changes every 3,000 miles. Its just another added bonus you can do to an engine for longevity.

Clean oil is the #1 thing for long engine life........and when people do oil regular oil changes.....Drain and refill.....theres a TON of old dirty oil that's left behind.

I get it all out at every oil change.

Regarding the Top End cleaning......my new 390ci iron block engine is going to get its first top end cleaning at about 25,000 miles. I'd say every 5,000 miles after that is good. Again, $8.00 and 5 minutes to do it before you go to sleep one night, then start it up the next day and take it for a smooth drive to clear it all out. Why not do it every 5,000 miles.......cheap and easy.

Just like spark plugs.......every 20,000 miles mine get changed. Fuel filter....every 3,000 miles. Air cleaner....every 3,000 miles. Coolant flush......every 5,000-10,0000 miles. MAF, IAT sensor and TB cleaning....every 3,000 miles. Fuel additive to clean entire fuel system-Full bottle of SeaFoam into 1/8th tank of gas....every 3 months.

All these things are so cheap and easy to do.....why not do them more often for max performance and gas mileage.

Just how I like to do it......

Last edited by LS6427; 05-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: amsoil power foam and engine flush