Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Disc Brake Pad Spreader Recs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Brake Pad Spreader Recs?

I have always used the C-clamp method when putting in new pads once every couple years but now that I will be switching between street pads and race pads very often I am looking for tools that will speed up the job. I have already purchased the Motiv pressure bleeder and the Motiv catch bottles w/ tubes to make bleeding more time efficient and am now looking to see what tools would be helpful for faster pad/rotor changes. Any recommendations or suggestions?

The one I was looking at.
Amazon.com: Lisle 24300 Speedy Brake Pad Spreader: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24300 Speedy Brake Pad Spreader: Automotive

Also thinking about picking up a set of these...
Amazon.com: OTC 7661 Caliper Hanger Set: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 7661 Caliper Hanger Set: Automotive

Last edited by orthopod; 05-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all you need to bleed brakes

Amazon.com: Genesis Cable Bleeder Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Genesis Cable Bleeder Bottle: Automotive

Put clean fluid in the bottom to cover the tube, open the bleeder and pump the brakes until no air is seen coming out.

Caliper hanger set= bungie cord. You dont need either, swap one side at the time and remount the caliper.

That Spreader is junk, You need this one.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/brak...Fe_m7AodDUQAlQ

Put an old thin, worn out pad in front of it to push both pistons in at the same time.

I use this, with an old pad.Just the "T" part so I can put a socket on it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good I will pick up the Lisle 24400 you recommend. The motiv bottle I picked up http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-1820 is exactly like the Genesis one you linked so I should be good there except I already ordered the Motiv pressure bleeder http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mv...FZJhfgod9RcAXA so I guess I won't have to pump the brakes to bleed the fluid. I will probably only use it as a pressure source so I don't have to get the inside full of brake fluid. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My schedule doesn't line up well with my other car buddies, so I needed a setup to do the brake swaps as a quick one-man job.

Went with the Motive pressure bleeder (money very well spent), spent $3 on extra 1/4" ID clear tubing to make routing fluid from the bleed screws to my catch pan easier, a $6 caliper spreader from Harbor Freight (quite similar in design to the one FASTFATBOY posted above) and I use a wire clothes hanger to hang the caliper on the spring. Simple, but effective.

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Pad Spreader Recs?