Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Built 408 with maggie - PCV, catch can issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built 408 with maggie - PCV, catch can issue

Long story short I had an issue with rocker clearance which resulted in a bent push rod, broken lifter and broken rocker. Everything was torn down and built back up. Engine is fresh.

I searched all over and found a few posts about the same issue but none that actually illustrated the correct routing. So please bear with me if you think this has been brought up before.

I took the car out for a quick drive after the fresh build and everything seems fine. Car didn't seem to miss a beat. A/F are holding good, oil pressure, temps, etc. All good.

The problem is after about 30 minutes of on and off the gas, only getting into boost for a moment at a time and no more than 3psi before I let off, I started to fill my oil catch can which then began to suck into the intake and I was burning oil. The catch can was full after 30 minutes.

Is my hose routing messed up or what? I have a general grasp of the pcv system and I think I've done it right, but it seems like vacuum is pulling oil from the valve cover at an incredible rate!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Do I need a check valve somewhere so that when I get into boost it doesn't pressurize through the catch can?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Teching In

What is the blue line ?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Blue line goes from the intake (before tb) to the driver passenger side valve cover
Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Teching In

According to diagrams I've seen, that is how it says to route. As you can tell there is oil spray where the hose connects to the intake snout, so oil is misting from there as well
Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Taken from the magnacharger install directions.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sidewinderx7
Blue line goes from the intake (before tb) to the driver passenger side valve cover
Mine was plugged at intake & hose ran down from valve cover towards ground. I don't have catch can, but was getting oil into intake. So far, no oil in intake & no oil on garage floor. Best i can do. good luck
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidewinderx7
Do I need a check valve somewhere so that when I get into boost it doesn't pressurize through the catch can?
Not a whipple here but an eforce should be similar I would think.

I very simply have one hose from the drivers side valve cover to the can, and the other from the can to the nipple on the inlet of the supercharger. In that hose I have a one way check valve that wont allow pressure back from the inlet to the can. I used a Ford PCV valve for this.

It traps a little oil and I get none at all in the intake. Works perfectly.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input!

Let's say theoretically the pcv valve is broken, would oil be sucked directly out of the heads through the valve cover and into the catch can? To me it seems like it would.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Not a whipple here but an eforce should be similar I would think.

I very simply have one hose from the drivers side valve cover to the can, and the other from the can to the nipple on the inlet of the supercharger. In that hose I have a one way check valve that wont allow pressure back from the inlet to the can. I used a Ford PCV valve for this.

It traps a little oil and I get none at all in the intake. Works perfectly.

If I understand your routing correctly. The added PCV valve is just turning the suction off under boost. This is basically eliminating PCV completely thats why your not burning any oil. So you have fixed the oil burning problem but eliminated PCV. Just an observation.

To fix your PCV just vent it to atmosphere. Run a line down out the bottom of the engine bay, or drain it frequently. This will allow you to have PCV without your supper charger pulling a boat load of vacuum under boost and sucking oil into the engine. Hope this helps
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nodrok
If I understand your routing correctly. The added PCV valve is just turning the suction off under boost. This is basically eliminating PCV completely thats why your not burning any oil. So you have fixed the oil burning problem but eliminated PCV. Just an observation.

To fix your PCV just vent it to atmosphere. Run a line down out the bottom of the engine bay, or drain it frequently. This will allow you to have PCV without your supper charger pulling a boat load of vacuum under boost and sucking oil into the engine. Hope this helps
I am not an expert on pcv systems, but I don't see how this is turning suction off under boost. The factory system is still fully intact. The pcv valve which I am using as a "ghetto" check valve is just preventing any air from blowing back into the can, not preventing it from sucking.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/

Quick Reply: Built 408 with maggie - PCV, catch can issue