Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Passing NASA inspection_Question about wheel play and power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing NASA inspection_Question about wheel play and power steering leak

Hi guys. I did a pre-inspection of my car for wheel play and leaks this weekend and found the following. Do you believe any of these are issues that will cause me to fail the NASA inspection before my first HPDE this next weekend?

This is a 2002 Trans Am WS6 w/ 80K miles and has never seen the track before.

1) With the front wheels on the ground there is no front wheel bearing play. With the wheels off the ground if I grip the tire at the 6 and 12 o clock positions and wiggle (pushing with one hand on front of tire and pulling with the other hand on back of tire) it back and forth there is ZERO play. When I grip the tire at the 3 and 9 o clock positions and do the same there is minimal play and I can see the tie rod, steering rod connected to tie rod, and steering knuckle at above the tire both move in unison with the play. Is this just steering rack play and is this ok? I have attached a short youtube video demonstrating:

Front wheel play (both wheels did the same thing with no play in the 6 and 12 o clock position and this play in the 3 and 9 o clock position:

2) With the rear wheels off the ground there is a mm or so of axle end play. I have read that this is common with C-clip axles (mine is a c-clip GM 10 bolt). My car came equipped with the Torsen differential so there are no cones to wear out to cause end play like the Auburn. There is no axial play in the wheel. I believe this is just normal play from c-clip axles is this ok?

Rear axle end play as shown in video and

3) I found a slight power steering leak where the steering shaft goes into the axle. From the encrusted dirt it looks like this has been slowly seeping for quite some time. There is never fresh drip on the driveway. Is this ok?

Power Steering Leak Video:
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Ok checked these issues with Alan Blaine (who has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful as well as you guys on this forum) and all seem to be normal but he will be giving the car a second look tomorrow as I have some parts to pick up at his shop. Just wanted to update the thread.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Teching In

When I went for hpde they asked me to get in the car and press the brakes... The lights came on ad they said you're good to go! That was it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lelan
When I went for hpde they asked me to get in the car and press the brakes... The lights came on ad they said you're good to go! That was it.
I had a check that started out like this at road america. The problem? One brake light wasn't coming on. I sweated it for a few seconds until I realized my turn signal was on. With an older car, if it is off and the turn signal is clicked on, one brake light might not work when you hit the brakes. Almost didn't pass tech until I remembered that.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All thats normal stuff.

Here's how the track inspection procedure goes:

Got a helmet? Yep

Open hood? Yep got a motor in there.

Battery secure? Yep

Step on your brake pedal? Brake lights work? Yep.

Sign off on sheet, go to paddock.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the tech inspections I've encountered were little more than a quick look at the tires, quick look under the hood, checked the brake lights and the helmet and it was good to go.

Quick Reply: Passing NASA inspection_Question about wheel play and power steering leak