Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Plasti-dip Ideas

OK, FIRST off don't tell me to wait till I can afford to paint it to install the parts, I deleted the last thread because of that and that is simply NOT AN OPTION (I had to drive my firebird to the guy I got the rear hatch from which meant LEAVING my old hatch there, so I DON'T have it anymore).

OK what we have as seen in the attached picture is my pewter firebird with a blue T/A rear bumper and a red T/A highrise hatch, on the return trip from getting the hatch I picked up half a dozen cans of black plasti-dip, my plan is to use the plasti-dip to "blackout" the rear bumper and the hatch.

Now here is the challenge for those willing to take it, come up with a "plasti-dip paint scheme" that DOESN"T involve covering the ENTIRE car in black plasti-dip (or any other color as black is what HAS BEEN PURCHASED), like some kind of graphic that will tie the rear bumper and hatch together and blend to somewhere on the body.
Attached Thumbnails Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-img_20140512_143347_542.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lulz at the attitude and deleting a thread of people only trying to help...but let's see what we can do to make this thing less ugly.

Ok, so basically we need to cover the whole hatch and rear bumper. Now unless you wanna go for some sort of wavy, tribal type of design, this essentially means everything directly behind the point where the hatch meets the sail panel will need blacked out.

Maybe someone will come up with something a bit more artistic that looks good with the lines of the car, but otherwise I wouldn't even try to keep the rear quarters pewter.
It would be a lot more work masking, lining up, etc. I looked at the picture for a little while and I just don't see something that will fit the bill. Maybe if it was just the hatch or just the bumper, that would be a different story.

So starting with the hatch/sail panel intersection as your point of reference for the beginning of a design a few basic ideas stand out right away...

(obviously these are lame MS Paint jobs, so everything behind/below the line would be black plasti-dip...in front/above would stay pewter)

1. Basic half and half job. Pick a point somewhere on the door and do a vertical line straight down the side. Now, this is usually done with paint that will fade from one color to another on each half. Even then, I don't think it's a great paint combo. With plasti-dip and a clean black/pewter line I think it would look horrible. Like two different cars welded together.

2. This is a little better, but still won't look that great in my opinion. Do a straight, diagonal line from the hatch towards somewhere around the front wheel well.

First option I don't think looks that great, but would be super easy.

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-iak6o3d.jpg

Second option would be just as easy and look a little better IMO, but uses more black which means not as much pewter left over.

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-wgoeix6.jpg

3. This third option actually starts with the front of the sail panel being the design start point. I like it more, but it really disrupts the body lines, especially the door "crease".

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-fvo3yzj.jpg

4. This fourth option actually looks pretty good now that I started playing around with it. It's the most involved design, but with a few reference points would be easy to line up pretty evenly from side to side. While it probably uses the most plasti-dip, I think it would flow the best with the car and therefore would let the pewter to pop a bit more.

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-kmk76dl.jpg

and around to the front

Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-bmsviea.jpg
Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by justin455
Lulz at the attitude and deleting a thread of people only trying to help...
I guess beggars can be choosers...
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
I guess beggars can be choosers...

OP, everyone gave you pretty damn solid advice in your last thread. Don't get so upset just because it's something you don't want to hear. If you want to do your car a certain way, then the pressure is on YOU to think of something and bring your ideas to fruition. Don't get mad when others can't see what you're envisioning in your head. Justin455 gave you some good places to start, the ball is now in your court.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TechCam97

OP, everyone gave you pretty damn solid advice in your last thread. Don't get so upset just because it's something you don't want to hear. If you want to do your car a certain way, then the pressure is on YOU to think of something and bring your ideas to fruition. Don't get mad when others can't see what you're envisioning in your head. Justin455 gave you some good places to start, the ball is now in your court.
First off this is EXACTLY what I said I DIDN'T want this thread to devolve into.

For the record the 3 pieces of advice people gave in the last one was:
1. Spray the whole car
2. 2-tones are ugly
3. Don't install panels till ready to paint

ALL of which I have said ARE NOT AN OPTION, there was zero help with that thread (because everyone said to do something that simply is not an option, which I made clear was not an option) and I would ask that if you don't have any ideas to please not post in this thread any more.

Now if you wanna be more like Justin455 then that is what I'm asking for, actual ideas. My current train of thought is to somewhat (but obviously with a twist) copy the old mopar style graphic of the black coming down the side like in the attached picture but expand it to cover the whole rear of the car, but I posted this thread to look for other ideas or something that would inspire me to go a different direction or show me a "break line" I never would have thought of.
Attached Thumbnails Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-dsc_0612.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
First off this is EXACTLY what I said I DIDN'T want this thread to devolve into.

For the record the 3 pieces of advice people gave in the last one was:
1. Spray the whole car
2. 2-tones are ugly
3. Don't install panels till ready to paint

ALL of which I have said ARE NOT AN OPTION, there was zero help with that thread (because everyone said to do something that simply is not an option, which I made clear was not an option) and I would ask that if you don't have any ideas to please not post in this thread any more.

Now if you wanna be more like Justin455 then that is what I'm asking for, actual ideas. My current train of thought is to somewhat (but obviously with a twist) copy the old mopar style graphic of the black coming down the side like in the attached picture but expand it to cover the whole rear of the car, but I posted this thread to look for other ideas or something that would inspire me to go a different direction or show me a "break line" I never would have thought of.
Good looking two tones are hard to pull off on these cars and are rarely done, but if you are wanting to do it, then the burden is on your imagination to get it done. Don't be mad when most people don't share your mindset or don't see in our imagination what it is that you see. If you don't want an opinion that differs from yours, or can't handle it, then don't post. Like I said before, you were offered solid advice in your previous thread. You chose to throw a temper tantrum and delete it and then ask the same damn question over again. Justin455 pretty much nailed most of the ideas that would look halfway decent, take one of those designs and run with it. If not, then wait until you can afford to get the panels painted and don't bitch about it. Anyways, good luck with your project and make sure to post pictures when it is completed. Maybe your findings can help others who face a similar predicament.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Good looking two tones are hard to pull off on these cars and are rarely done, but if you are wanting to do it, then the burden is on your imagination to get it done. Don't be mad when most people don't share your mindset or don't see in our imagination what it is that you see. If you don't want an opinion that differs from yours, or can't handle it, then don't post. Like I said before, you were offered solid advice in your previous thread. You chose to throw a temper tantrum and delete it and then ask the same damn question over again. Justin455 pretty much nailed most of the ideas that would look halfway decent, take one of those designs and run with it. If not, then wait until you can afford to get the panels painted and don't bitch about it. Anyways, good luck with your project and make sure to post pictures when it is completed. Maybe your findings can help others who face a similar predicament.
NO I was NOT offered "sound advice" in the previous thread, as a matter of fact the only advice I was given was the COMPLETE opposite of what I was asking for and made the thread look like those threads where someone asks a question about something like KYB shocks and everyone just says to buy Koni's with no regard for the fact that doing so is simply out of budget.

I DO NOT have the budget to get the parts painted
I DO NOT have the budget to get the whole car plasti-dipped

I DO have 6 cans of black plasti-dip and can afford a couple more if needed

So far out of both of these threads Justin455 is the ONLY person that has actually contributed ideas that fit the basic criteria, all I'm asking for is ideas of ways to do the break line between the paint and plsati-dip. I really don't see why you are consistently coming in here and saying I was given good advice, when the advice given goes completely against what I was asking for (and is out of budget for like another year).

Now please, if you don't have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to the established budgetary restrictions then please do not comment further on this thread. I really don't need people to tell me to "do it right" and paint the whole car or the new panels, I do want to do that but it simply isn't in the budget for at least 6 months to a year at best and I don't have the stock hatch to reinstall on the car to "wait till I can afford it.

I have said all of this and am getting tired of the need to repeat myself over and over again, so if you are going to comment in this thread it better be to discuss possible ideas for 2-tone break lines any discussion of anything else is NOT what this thread is about and I do not want to further discuss any thing that is NOT related to what the thread was started on.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

NO I was NOT offered "sound advice" in the previous thread, as a matter of fact the only advice I was given was the COMPLETE opposite of what I was asking for and made the thread look like those threads where someone asks a question about something like KYB shocks and everyone just says to buy Koni's with no regard for the fact that doing so is simply out of budget.

I DO NOT have the budget to get the parts painted
I DO NOT have the budget to get the whole car plasti-dipped

I DO have 6 cans of black plasti-dip and can afford a couple more if needed

So far out of both of these threads Justin455 is the ONLY person that has actually contributed ideas that fit the basic criteria, all I'm asking for is ideas of ways to do the break line between the paint and plsati-dip. I really don't see why you are consistently coming in here and saying I was given good advice, when the advice given goes completely against what I was asking for (and is out of budget for like another year).

Now please, if you don't have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to the established budgetary restrictions then please do not comment further on this thread. I really don't need people to tell me to "do it right" and paint the whole car or the new panels, I do want to do that but it simply isn't in the budget for at least 6 months to a year at best and I don't have the stock hatch to reinstall on the car to "wait till I can afford it.

I have said all of this and am getting tired of the need to repeat myself over and over again, so if you are going to comment in this thread it better be to discuss possible ideas for 2-tone break lines any discussion of anything else is NOT what this thread is about and I do not want to further discuss any thing that is NOT related to what the thread was started on.
TL:DNR

Good luck with your project, make sure to post pics. If not in here because you threw a fit and deleted it, then in the other thread you create to hopefully hear what you want to. Good afternoon.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Maybe below the door crease all the way around and the whole front bumper may not look to bad
Old 05-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the record, I said either dip the whole thing or save the money for paint. However, I still might as well help out when someone asks. Doesnt hurt.

As far as the old Mopar look goes, I like the idea and I didn't even think about that, but I just feel like the door crease would just royally screw it up. It might work on a camaro with it's more 1 dimensional sides, but the firebird just has too much going on.

I got another idea while typing this out, but it will have to wait until later as I'm doing this on my phone.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

3. This third option actually starts with the front of the sail panel being the design start point. I like it more, but it really disrupts the body lines, especially the door "crease".

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Maybe below the door crease all the way around and the whole front bumper may not look to bad
perhaps a merge of these 2 ideas, bring the swoop down from the sail panel but curve it along the crease line in the door and bring it around to the front bumper the way the last pic in Justin455's. And now we have another unique idea created off the input from others that I wouldn't have come up with without the help of others.

For the record, I said either dip the whole thing or save the money for paint. However, I still might as well help out when someone asks. Doesnt hurt.

As far as the old Mopar look goes, I like the idea and I didn't even think about that, but I just feel like the door crease would just royally screw it up. It might work on a camaro with it's more 1 dimensional sides, but the firebird just has too much going on.

I got another idea while typing this out, but it will have to wait until later as I'm doing this on my phone.
thats my biggest concern with the mopar stripe is that the body doesn't lean to that design.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'd just have to be selective of where you start the line. It probably could be made to work with someone with an eye for it.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Hard to picture without seeing a visual photoshop or something but also rear bumper, hatch, sail panel and hood plasti dipped
Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Hard to picture without seeing a visual photoshop or something but also rear bumper, hatch, sail panel and hood plasti dipped
No point in doing the hood, my Superhawk should be here soon and I'm just gonna leave it the black gelcoat finish for now.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Extremely quick photoshop.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^ I think the rear quarter needs to stay silver
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ I think the rear quarter needs to stay silver
the rear quarter, or most of it anyway, has to go black in order to tie the rear bumper and hatch together, I just can't see any other way of tying the bumper and hatch together without doing so.

I'll be plasti-dipping the bumper and hatch black this weekend then I can get some new pictures up to continue to brainstorm ideas.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so I know this is a Camaro but its a very similar paint scheme. bumper and spoiler are the same color including most of the quarter panel. ( My friend Trent E. car)

And then here is the same scheme on your car (Yes im a professional photo shop guy ... youre welcome lol)

The Camaro pulls it off nice I think yours would too!
Attached Thumbnails Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-10290601_858904244124058_6881699364542917707_n.jpg   Need some Plasti-dip Ideas-img_20140512_143347_542-1-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^^^^ The thing with that one is the straight line of the bottom of the paint along the door lined with the body line on the camaro and is way above it on the firebird.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^ The thing with that one is the straight line of the bottom of the paint along the door lined with the body line on the camaro and is way above it on the firebird.
yes, BUT you can extend the line to a fine thin strip until it reaches the end of the front quarter panel. that way it looks more uniform

Quick Reply: Need some Plasti-dip Ideas