Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air filter dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Air filter dilemma

At this point, a 4" K&N 5163 filter barely fits...it actually contacts the radiator hose a bit. I could leave this on, or make some sort of 45* or tighter bend come off the turbo and maybe get a 6" or 7" airfilter on there. Is it possible that the bend would create more restriction cancelling-out the effort of building the bend in the 1st place??

Last edited by 69-chvl; 07-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar situation and honestly it hasn't poven to be any sort of restrictin that I can tell. If anything having the short filter on it was causing a problem as it was beginning to crush in on itself. I used a much larger K&N filter on a 4" pipe and it hasn't shown that same sort of crushing.

It doesn't look pretty

Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work willizm. Have you ever done any testing w/ and w/o the air intake on?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with the bigger filter my IAT's did not move during a WOT pull whereas with the smaller filter on it would rise. I can't remember how much but 20-30 degrees sounds about right. I wish I had more data but thats what I got.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Fit a different radiator, then you'll have tons of room for a filter.

Or the Greddy Airynx mushroom types are about the most compact you'll find.

They do one about 6.5" diameter and around 4" tall with a 4" clamp on for the turbo.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in the same boat. These are suppose to work well

https://www.google.com/search?q=cobr...40%3B350%3B229
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Fit a different radiator, then you'll have tons of room for a filter.
Or the Greddy Airynx mushroom types are about the most compact you'll find.

They do one about 6.5" diameter and around 4" tall with a 4" clamp on for the turbo.
Steve, I'd rather not move the rad as I built a lot of things around it. Do those Greddy filters outflow the typical K&N type? If someone has a link that would be great.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 AM
9 Second Club

Outflow a typical K&N ?

Well that raises the question what a typical K&N is ?

The K&N in your photo is an incredibly small one with very limited surface area..so flow really cant be that much. Not helped by the fact there is effectively a lid on it too.

http://www.nengun.com/greddy/gracer-...ii-air-filters

Ive seen the GTR guys use the small version of the filter on some very powerful cars...which does seem quite surprising really.

I bought a pair of the #1250033 which is the 6.5" diameter version I mentioned for my low mounted twins.
I simply didnt have room for anything else, and these seemed to offer the best all round package. As far as fitement in tight spaces go, they actually worked out better than expected, and far better design than the likes of the HKS Mushrooms.

Any equivalent K&N type filter would have bee miniscule with almost no surface area, and a lid barely 2" from the mouth of the blower. So it could only flow very badly.
But K&N no longer list flow figures, nor offer any insight as to filtration surface area etc.

I'm by no means saying these mushrooms are perfect or great. I'm sure they maybe dont filter as well as some other types. But when space is very limited, I'd think overall they offer a far better compromise than a small diameter, small height more conventional design.

I bought directly from Nengun in Japan, price was better for me than sourcing elsewhere.

In the US vendors seem to retail them at around US$100 each.

But as others have done too, routing a 4" pipe somewhere where you can equip it with a large filter...better still with a source of cold frontal air is the better all round solution.

What size is the actual turbo, and single or twins ?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Outflow a typical K&N ?

Well that raises the question what a typical K&N is ?

The K&N in your photo is an incredibly small one with very limited surface area..so flow really cant be that much. Not helped by the fact there is effectively a lid on it too.

http://www.nengun.com/greddy/gracer-...ii-air-filters

Ive seen the GTR guys use the small version of the filter on some very powerful cars...which does seem quite surprising really.

I bought a pair of the #1250033 which is the 6.5" diameter version I mentioned for my low mounted twins.
I simply didnt have room for anything else, and these seemed to offer the best all round package. As far as fitement in tight spaces go, they actually worked out better than expected, and far better design than the likes of the HKS Mushrooms.

Any equivalent K&N type filter would have bee miniscule with almost no surface area, and a lid barely 2" from the mouth of the blower. So it could only flow very badly.
But K&N no longer list flow figures, nor offer any insight as to filtration surface area etc.

I'm by no means saying these mushrooms are perfect or great. I'm sure they maybe dont filter as well as some other types. But when space is very limited, I'd think overall they offer a far better compromise than a small diameter, small height more conventional design.

I bought directly from Nengun in Japan, price was better for me than sourcing elsewhere.

In the US vendors seem to retail them at around US$100 each.

But as others have done too, routing a 4" pipe somewhere where you can equip it with a large filter...better still with a source of cold frontal air is the better all round solution.

What size is the actual turbo, and single or twins ?
Thanks Steve. Its a s475 with a 5" inlet. The Greddy 100mm I think only has a 4" inlet connection? I'll try and rig-up some sort of 45* elbow to get a bigger filter.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM
9 Second Club

Correct, not really suitable then.

best bet is to remote mount a large filter somewhere.

Quick Reply: Air filter dilemma