Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Have a non-reputable guy paint my Firehawk???
Trade the box for the guy to paint the hawk...
37.50%
HELL NO!!!
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

opinions on getting paintjob

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb opinions on getting paintjob

Hey guys, I was going to get my Firehawk repainted, but was quoted a little over $4k to get the job done at a reputable shop. I simply cant afford that at the moment, as I leave for bootcamp in about 5 weeks. I have a Snap-On toolbox that I bought a couple years ago (classic 96). I paid a ton of money for this box, but ive been advertising it for a couple weeks on craigslist and cant seem to get a single cash offer, just trades for junky cars and motorcycles that i wouldnt want.

Its too big and dont want to take it with me when I move. Im putting all my tools into a harbor freight box, one that I dont care if it gets banged up. Anyway, a neighbor said his paint guy would paint my car in trade for my toolbox. He has a garage he paints out of, but he is NOT a business. He is willing to buy the paint and do all bodywork in exchange for the box with no money on my end. He will even spray the door jambs if I want to change the color. He came to my house and looked at the car and was pretty excited to get a nice toolbox.. hes an older guy if it matters.

My main question is... if he does the paint job and it looks like complete crap.. what do i do? Is this one of the things you just go with your gut, or just wait until I can afford to get the car painted at a shop? Can you get legal paperwork before he paints the car to protect me? Just want some opinions! Thanks!

BTW in the pic is the damaged firehawk hood. New Superhawk hood goes on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails opinions on getting paintjob-00d0d_5heahssakbc_600x450.jpeg   opinions on getting paintjob-20140516_141833.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask to see pictures and references of previous work. If he has experience painting then he will have pictures and or references. Nothing wrong with a former pro painting from his garage as long as he knows what he is doing.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

ask to see previous work, that goes for ANY painter, never drop that kind of money (or value of trade) without seeing what he can do first.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by got milk??
Ask to see pictures and references of previous work. If he has experience painting then he will have pictures and or references. Nothing wrong with a former pro painting from his garage as long as he knows what he is doing.
I agree. Ask to see pics of his work and references too if possible. Don't get desperate for a paint job on a trade just because it's an option. If need be, wait it out and pay for a quality one later.

Put it this way...if you take him on his word that he's good, and it turns out the job is crap, how would you feel? Not only would you need to do it over, but you'd also be out of a nice toolbox!

I'd even be tempted to try my hand at painting the hood myself just to get by for a little bit. That way, you learned something and can get it looking at least half decent until the whole car gets painted later by a professional.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Some other things to check if he is a serious painter ask to see his setup. If he is running a single harbor freight spray gun on a 20 gallon rolling compressor this is a red flag. Nothing wrong with spraying a fender or tiny items like this but I wouldn't want to trade a snap on box to someone spraying an entire car.

Now if he has a big compressor and a few name brand spray guns the CHANCES are you found a retired painter looking to make some spending money and you could get a high quality job.

Also ask what materials he plans on using. Get this in writing and ask for materials receipts. Your trading a 5-7k tool box you should get a 5-7k paint job with a 1/3 of that going into materials. So if he tries to use Summit Racing branded paint or some other rebranded kirker I would walk. I would ask and expect him to use 2 stage paints from BASF, PPG, Sherman Williams/Dupont premium lines.

I know it seems like a lot to digest but essentially your spending whatever that box is worth off the truck on a paint job so you should get your monies worth.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I may pass on having him do the paint job... he wants to use dupont nason paint with oreillys clear coat... dosent seem like the thing to do. Im going to his place tomorrow to see some cars hes painted and in the process of painting. If he seems like he knows what he's doing ill try to get him to use all PPG paint... thanks guys
Old 05-20-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Snap-On
I may pass on having him do the paint job... he wants to use dupont nason paint with oreillys clear coat... dosent seem like the thing to do. Im going to his place tomorrow to see some cars hes painted and in the process of painting. If he seems like he knows what he's doing ill try to get him to use all PPG paint... thanks guys
Getting someone to use something they don't normally use is generally a bad idea. It won't turn out as good as they have mastered using the other product.

Personally I don't like using cheap clears on a good paint job. Yes, they save money but in the long run they dont always hold up as good or last as long as the quality stuff that is designed for the actual base coat being used.

You're better off using a reputable shop. At least this way you will have some leeway if your not happy with the end result.

When dealing with a private party, you can end up SOL. Remember, he is not a shop so who's paying for the product??? If your trading something, that means he has to come with the money out of pocket to pay for the products being used. Quality Paint products are not cheap. He may have some leftover supplies from previous jobs but most likely he is gonna have to take on another job to come up with the spare cash. That job will get priority because its a paying customer and he will need the job to pay for the products to do your car.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint jobs are not something to cheap out on if you plan on owning the car for a while. I've seen so many budget paint jobs done by "uncles" and "family friends" that look fine to begin with, and then 2-3 year down the road just start to look absolutely horrendous with tons of issues. A car with a bad paintjob is worlds harder to fix than a car with factory paint.

If you want it done, and want it done well, have somebody do it correctly and pay for good work. Honestly even at $4,000 corners are being cut.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Lots of good advice by all. It's never recommended to mix and match paint brands on the same paint job. Does it happen - yes. Will it always result in failure - no. But it is something to consider. I have painted things for myself and friends that didn't need to be super perfect and used what I had laying around to keep cost down but if it were something that I valued and wanted to make sure it was going to stay nice for a long time, I would avoid mixing brands. Again the combo might never have a problem, but it is something to take in to consideration.

Quick Reply: opinions on getting paintjob