Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

80 LeMans LQ4 Build Thread (denmah kit)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 LeMans LQ4 Build Thread (denmah kit)

So i have been wanting to do a LS swap for many years but I have always found a way to put it off or i have bought/built a mustang of some sort instead. Now the time has finally come that it is going to happen since i had this 80 LeMans (47k miles) fall into my lap after doing a motor swap for a guy and this was the donor car...well i ended up with it. I have always seen peoples build threads and enjoyed reading them and the information and ideas that i can take from them and i imagine looking back on the build after completed is really cool also. Those are the reasons that i am going to attempt to keep this detailed and up to date as i can work in the garage and buy parts. With that said this will not be completed over night and will be an ongoing build thread.

The plans are so stay true to the "sloppy mechanics" style build. Heres a list of what i have and what i am thinking. I will do my best to also inventory every part and dollar that i spend parts wise. Goals are to keep it under $2500, make 600 at the wheels, and get down the 1/8th mid 6's.

The parts I have:

6.0 LQ4 Gen 3 iron head long block....$250
Truck intake/dbc tb/rails/injectors....$75
Turbo 350 trans....$ free with Lemans
Truck manifolds....$ with engine
Motor mount fab started....$ complimentary from work

Current total into build.......$325

The parts i need (off the top of my head):

Denmah vsracing turbo kit
intake elbow
80lb injectors
Fuel pump/lines/sump
micro squirt
3 bar map
wide band
s-10 manual steering box
alternator
convertor (if budget allows)
meth kit?

I will be fabricating every little thing that i can. I am going to be making motor mounts, trans mount if needed, fuel sump, make the truck oil pan/k member work, basically anything that doesn't have to be bought will be made if my skill level will allow.

Here is the chassis that i have to work with...

----------THE BUILD--------

Didn't have much time in the garage tonight but i got the engine bay cleaned up a little bit, the poncho 350 motor mounts out of the way and started on the new mounts where they are going to mount to the engine.

Start of the homemade solid mounts

Might go with something like this. The idea comes from the dirt racing world. If i dont go that route than i will do the traditional clam shell style like all the ones that can be bought.

Last edited by yea i bet; 05-19-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picture this when i see that car.

That is a great looking cobra you have!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
I picture this when i see that car.

That is a great looking cobra you have!
That's exactly what I'm going for.haha. And thanks! Sad thing is it's gone. Had an offer I couldn't say no to. It was a 3.4 whipple car
Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Got the trans hooked up to the mock up block and the trans mounted in the stock location. The engine placement seems to be good for clearance, although i believe that i am going to have to run upside down truck manifolds instead of side switched which im not crazy about but oh well. as far as the truck pan goes it looks like in is going to clear with a small notch in the k member. It does seem to hang quite low but i wont be sure till the car is at ride height. If it becomes an issue i am throwing around the idea of chopping the amount needed and welding the pan back up.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you gonna ditch the iron heads?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kevin99hoss
are you gonna ditch the iron heads?
might be, not 100 percent sure yet. I have a set laying around just not sure if i wanna buy gaskets.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Got some solid motor mounts made up. I decided to go the easy simple route rather than over thinking it. There are some clearance issues getting the engine in and out but it can be tilted and angled so it does slide forward and up. I also got the tank dropped out, the inside cleaned, and holes drilled for the sump pan. Building the sump wont be fun because the radius of the tank but at least there is a good spot without the ribbing to weld the sump to.

Hope this is enough/large enough holes to let the fuel get into and not out of the sump during acceleration and deceleration.

OPINIONS WOULD BE GREAT ON THE HOLES

Quick Reply: 80 LeMans LQ4 Build Thread (denmah kit)