Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHEAP Metal Spoked Power Steering Pulley for LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEAP Metal Spoked Power Steering Pulley for LS1

If you are looking for a cheap metal power steering pulley with spokes that will allow you to reach the bolts without pulling the pulley off, look no further. It took me hours of searching and digging and cross referencing and looking at parts and reading posts where this went unanswered, etc.

The Dorman 300-202 is a 100% metal pulley with a .748 I.D. and the correct backspacing for the F-body LS1 pump. It's perfect!! If the parts jockeys can't find it tell them to look it up for a 2004 Pontiac Montana 2wd. You're going to need a belt that's 1.5" shorter than factory if all of your other pulleys are stock.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-65024-300-202.aspx

Now I did read a post where and a guy said to use 300-201 which is also listed for the same vehicle but that pulley is plastic and it looks like it has less back spacing so I didn't try it. And it just has 3 small holes in it, not sure if they line up with the bolts or not.

Also... If you have a Corvette LS1 p/s pump your shaft is .6XX and if you have an F-body LS1 p/s pump your shaft size is .750. I bought a LS2 pulley for a TBSS at first (which is .6XX) and it no workey....
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

since its a smaller pulley how does it affect the steering response or if its underdriving the pump?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

The pulley is smaller, but just a small amount. I haven't driven the car yet, so I can't speak on that. I would assume you're going to get slightly less steering response at speed since the pump will be turning at a higher rpm relative to engine speed. I doubt there is any danger of damage to the pump, but I also did not design the pump...

The good news is if you have a 25% underdrive pulley and are not happy with your p/s you could put this pulley on and it would be closer to factory... not sure if anyone has that problem tho.

For $20 vs $80+ for some of the aftermarket ones, I'll take my chances lol.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Teching In

I meant less steering feedback, more steering response, sorry.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm bumping this to asl what belt I need to order with the dorman pulley I know it has to be 1.5 inches shorter but I don't know how to find one
Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only possible issue I see is that the F-body already turns faster than is needs causing the problem some have with the PS fluid overheating. Otherwise if you have a UD crank pulley or don't really do any corner carving you'll probably be fine. Other than needing a shorter belt.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-30-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add missing information
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The only possible issue I see is that the F-body already turns faster than is needs causing the problem some have with the PS fluid overheating. Otherwise if you have a UD crank pulley or don't really do any corner carving you'll probably be fine.

Are you saying the stock belt will be fine? I really need a part number for the belt that will work with all stock pulleys except the doorman
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgrowth
Are you saying the stock belt will be fine? I really need a part number for the belt that will work with all stock pulleys except the doorman
I kinda hate threads like this, because they solve a problem to create 2 problems because you're being cheap to begin with! First thing is pump removal does NOT require pulley removal. Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt mean it cant be done. All it takes is one wrench. Second a smaller pulley is overspinning the pump....while fine for normal driving most fbodies will go WOT more then the average vehicle, so, already above average rpms + overdrive pulley = pretty dumb idea. To answer your belt question, find the stock belt part number, look for the length number in it, like between 60-80. So if the belt is 5wd80h then 80 is your length. Add the length in inches you need, a five for half. So if you wanted a 1.5 inch longer belt it would be 5wd815h for 81.5 inches. This works for most belt part numbers. I just made those numbers up btw.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I kinda hate threads like this, because they solve a problem to create 2 problems because you're being cheap to begin with! First thing is pump removal does NOT require pulley removal. Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt mean it cant be done. All it takes is one wrench. Second a smaller pulley is overspinning the pump....while fine for normal driving most fbodies will go WOT more then the average vehicle, so, already above average rpms + overdrive pulley = pretty dumb idea. To answer your belt question, find the stock belt part number, look for the length number in it, like between 60-80. So if the belt is 5wd80h then 80 is your length. Add the length in inches you need, a five for half. So if you wanted a 1.5 inch longer belt it would be 5wd815h for 81.5 inches. This works for most belt part numbers. I just made those numbers up btw.
Your one of the only people that I have seen that knows how to use one wrench, LOL I've never taken the pulley off to remove the pump.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgrowth
No, I just had forgot to add " in additon to a shorter belt" .

Quick Reply: CHEAP Metal Spoked Power Steering Pulley for LS1