LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trouble idling question & leaky front seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trouble idling question & leaky front seal

Hi guys. I burned up the trans in my car in early 2011. I finally replaced it in late 2012. Prior to swapping out the tranny and the car sitting for quite some time, it ran and idled perfectly. Upon getting the new trans in, I found that I had a lean condition. Come to find out one of the rubber fuel hoses in the tank after the pump split. I fixed it and thought I'd be good to go, but the car still dies almost everytime upon letting off the gas while driving.

I swapped in clean plugs the other day which helped the idle but the car still dies when putting around my neighborhood. I have to shift in to neutral and rev it to keep it from dying.

I'm thinking the idle air control. Replacing it is $60 from autozone or can I clean it or rebuild it? Or do you guys think it might be something completely different?

Finally, even prior to the car sitting, the front main seal on the engine was leaking a little. After sitting for about 3 years total, it's really leaky and basically just drips when the car is running and a decent amount when the car is off and sitting. My question is how hard is it to swap out the front main seal, and if it's diffcult to do, should I have the shop swap the cam at the same time?
thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IAC valve and port can be cleaned just make sure not to move the plunger as they usually don't like to be tweaked if they're old. Front seal replacement requires timing cover removal, therefore water pump and opti removal. So yea, if your considering a cam do it then. Also, if the opti is old might as well consider a new one too while you're there. Would suck to do all that and then within the next 5000 miles have it crap.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kris72079
IAC valve and port can be cleaned just make sure not to move the plunger as they usually don't like to be tweaked if they're old. Front seal replacement requires timing cover removal, therefore water pump and opti removal. So yea, if your considering a cam do it then. Also, if the opti is old might as well consider a new one too while you're there. Would suck to do all that and then within the next 5000 miles have it crap.
No, it doesn't. You can remove the crank seal from the front cover, with it still on the engine. When installing the new seal, you just have to be careful and patient, and not go at it with a BFH.....
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
No, it doesn't. You can remove the crank seal from the front cover, with it still on the engine. When installing the new seal, you just have to be careful and patient, and not go at it with a BFH.....
Yup, I did it like that, It is a little hard to install the seal because it will want to keep rotating around as you try to tap it in, so I made a basic cheap @ss tool out of some wood, went in with no problem..

Quick Reply: Trouble idling question & leaky front seal