LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the best way to change the head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default What is the best way to change the head gaskets?

Hey guys, just picked up a 97 Formula and the head gaskets are blown. What do yall think is the best way to do them? Drop the motor out of the bottom, or try to do it in the car? I'm a very experienced mechanic, but I have never done this job on an LT1 4th gen. I did it on a 3.8L 4th gen and it was a freaking nightmare with the engine still in the car.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That depends on what you consider harder, pulling the engine or dealing with the firewall while bending over for long periods of time.

If you have the means to drop the engine out the bottom then personally, I'd do the heads out of the engine bay. If not do it with them installed. JMHO.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way is drop the motor and put in a cam and thinner head gaskets and make some more POWAH.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads are not too bad to pull in car. But me being OCD, I would pull it and at least regasket the whole motor and clean it up.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hrcslam
That depends on what you consider harder, pulling the engine or dealing with the firewall while bending over for long periods of time.

If you have the means to drop the engine out the bottom then personally, I'd do the heads out of the engine bay. If not do it with them installed. JMHO.
I definitely have the means to drop the motor and it's probably the way I'm going to go.

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
The best way is drop the motor and put in a cam and thinner head gaskets and make some more POWAH.
This one is going on my car lot, so I really don't care too much about mods or power. If anything is getting modded, it's my 98 Formula.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Heads are not too bad to pull in car. But me being OCD, I would pull it and at least regasket the whole motor and clean it up.
This thing is clean as hell all the way around, doesn't leak a drop of oil.

Thanks for the input. I will just drop it out the bottom, probably less of a headache.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
I definitely have the means to drop the motor and it's probably the way I'm going to go.

This one is going on my car lot, so I really don't care too much about mods or power. If anything is getting modded, it's my 98 Formula.

This thing is clean as hell all the way around, doesn't leak a drop of oil.

Thanks for the input. I will just drop it out the bottom, probably less of a headache.
That's good then, I honestly bet you could drop it out in the same time it takes to pull the heads in-car.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
That's good then, I honestly bet you could drop it out in the same time it takes to pull the heads in-car.
I have learned that it's not so much about time, but frustration level. No room to work, losing skin off the top of my hands, backache from bending over, etc. On the 3.8L, it took me a good two hours to get the exhaust manifolds off thanks to the level of rust on them.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

After looking it over, I decided to go against my better judgement and pull the heads with the engine in the car. Once you get all of the smog crap out of the way, things become a little more clear and it's not as cramped as it looks. The passenger exhaust manifold is the only thing kicking my *** at the moment, that and someone welded the whole exhaust, so it's basically a 1 piece. Nothing a band saw won't take care of tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Almost to the point of removing the heads. Thus far, the only frustration is in the design of this stupid motor, not the location. Why mix and match english and metric bolts?!? It doesn't make a lick of sense. Why do two evap solenoids use 10mm bolts, then the third one uses a ******* 9/32 bolt?!? WHY SO GODDAMNED MANY INTAKE BOLTS ON AN INTAKE THAT DOESN'T HAVE WATER RUNNING THROUGH IT!?????!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JC316
Almost to the point of removing the heads. Thus far, the only frustration is in the design of this stupid motor, not the location. Why mix and match english and metric bolts?!? It doesn't make a lick of sense. Why do two evap solenoids use 10mm bolts, then the third one uses a ******* 9/32 bolt?!? WHY SO GODDAMNED MANY INTAKE BOLTS ON AN INTAKE THAT DOESN'T HAVE WATER RUNNING THROUGH IT!?????!!!!!!!!!!
You are not the only one to ask these questions and surely wont be the last. Im terrified to take anything more than the manifolds off my car. I was praying those didnt break.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I think it's actually less of a pain to do heads than it is cam. However when I took off my stock heads and manifolds/y-pipe the car only had 30K on it so nothing was rusted. Everything came off easy, and now with headers it is a lead pipe cinch.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I think it's actually less of a pain to do heads than it is cam. However when I took off my stock heads and manifolds/y-pipe the car only had 30K on it so nothing was rusted. Everything came off easy, and now with headers it is a lead pipe cinch.
I had to use a 3/4 impact to break mine loose. They were pretty stuck. Got the heads bolted back on tonight, all 34 head bolts.... Hoping to at least hear it run tomorrow and have it on the road by monday.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the process of doing the same job to my Z28. The hardest part was getting the p/s bracket and the manifold off the passenger head. Once I dropped the factory Y pipe, the drivers side was a breeze.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by IDriveChevy
The hardest part was getting the p/s bracket and the manifold off the passenger head.
Did you take the accessory bracket completely off or just undo the bolts for the power steering pump and the two 9/16 bolts that fasten the bracket to the head?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IDriveChevy
I'm in the process of doing the same job to my Z28. The hardest part was getting the p/s bracket and the manifold off the passenger head. Once I dropped the factory Y pipe, the drivers side was a breeze.
I had no problem with that bracket and I took mine completely off. All of the emissions crap makes that motor look cluttered. I found the exhaust manifolds to be the biggest annoyance. I heard mine run today, loud as hell thanks to open manifolds. Just have to put the exhaust back on and change the oil. Will be on the road tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I sell parts to 1993-2002 Camaro and Ta. I have done 35 cars. I can have the motor and trans droped out the bottom in 2-2 1/2 hours and it will go right back in with ease. I would do all gaskets if you pull the whole motor.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to change the head gaskets?