Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lq4 swap

Almost done with the LQ4 swap in to my 2002 Trans Am. Couple of questions. Some where along the process, I misplaced or used incorrectly, the A/C compressor to bracket bolts. Only long bolts I have left are too long. Anyone know the correct length for the compressor to bracket bolts? Yeah I know, keep track of your stuff, but there was two of us hitting this quickly and we crossed paths. Question two, the alternator bracket only bolts to the block with one of the three bolts, no holes in the block. Right now, the alternator is held in place, to the block, with one bolt thru the main bracket and the bracket/bolt in the rear of the alternator. Anyone using this setup with no issues?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ran into the same thing on a buddies new edge lq swap. The alternator bracket hole needs to be drilled and tapped for the 3rd hole. Should be the middle hole if it's the same.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by armyslowz28
Just ran into the same thing on a buddies new edge lq swap. The alternator bracket hole needs to be drilled and tapped for the 3rd hole. Should be the middle hole if it's the same.
Good to have a junk drawer. I found a set of GM bolts that worked for the A/C compressor. For now I will leave the alternator as is until I get some hours on it and then I will check to see if it is holding correctly. Dont want to take a chance and drill thru in to a water jacket. If I notice it is working loose, then I will drill/tap or maybe fabricate an extra bracket.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hole u will need to tap is on the outside of the block if u look closer. No chance of hitting water jacket.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dustytrix
The hole u will need to tap is on the outside of the block if u look closer. No chance of hitting water jacket.
Is that the one at the top of the alternator? There is a third, but it is close to the timing cover and I probably should stay away from that area. The one at the top of the alternator is close to the outer edge of the block.

Quick Reply: lq4 swap