Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denso A/C compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denso A/C compressor question

Hey guys new to the forum. I've got a question and I hope someone has run into this before. I have a 5.3 from an 03 Silverado swapped into my 1967 Chevy C10. I am running the stock denso ac compressor with a gen 4 vintage air unit. I had the system charged for the first time on Friday and the first time we tried it out smoke started coming out of the ac clutch coil wires. There are only two wires that come out of the ac clutch so I didn't really think it made much difference what was positive and what was negative. Well from that factory Silverado wire diagram that one side has a diode in it. I tried hooking up a spare compressor the correct way tempory to check to see if I could get the clutch to engage but still had the wires get very hot and have smoke come out right away. Any ideas on how to wire this to the vintage air system would be much appreciated. I already spoke to vintage air and they had no idea how to do it with the denso compressor.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Compressor should have a ground all the time (you can verify with a meter) and one dead wire when its off. When you select AC on the control panel the dead wire will turn to a 12v+. Thats been my experience with compressor clutches.

Quick Reply: Denso A/C compressor question