Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 Bolt bolts crossthreaded...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 12 Bolt bolts crossthreaded...

Well i took apart my car to remove my transmission and the previous owner or someone that worked on the car before my owning it cross threaded the **** out of the top bolts on the torque arm. Is there any way to fix it without taking the rear end out? Or am i at an inescapeable inpass where im going to have to remove it?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say to re-tap the threads and use longer bolts to thread into the good threads deeper down but after looking at some pictures of the moser rear it looks like the holes go all the way through into the cavity in the casting? You could Helicoil the bolt holes or if you can't save the threads are you able to use self locking nuts inside the cavity?

If you are able to access the cavity in the casting with your torque arm mount installed but can't get a wrench on some nuts you could make a gang nut to slide into the cavity for the bolts to thread into. Get a small piece of 3/8 or thicker steel, drill and tap two holes at the same spacing as your ta bolts then grind down the plate so it fits into the cavity in the rear end, thread longer bolts in and you should be good.
This image is blurry but gives you the idea of a gang nut made out of a plate.

Last edited by guppymech; 05-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Moser 12 Bolt bolts crossthreaded...