Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which catalytic conv do you use and why

Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default which catalytic conv do you use and why

I searched already. I am going to have my exhaust redone at a local shop. They will not touch it unless i have cats and they said i will not pass emissions in Indiana without them.
Anyhow I have Pacesetter ory. I am going to have them add a Flowmaster merge 3" with 4" outlet and Hawks 4" exhaust.
I want good flowing cats obviously and need them to fit properly. Driver side worries me with that flatter section of piping.
I need advice.
Rear o2 have been deleted already
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with the Magnaflow #59929 they last longer, and flow better than the ceramic #54950.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59929/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-54959/overview/

As far as the installation location, the passenger side is easy since you have a lot of room, but with the drivers side you can mount it further back before the Y-pipe merger like how TSP does with their catted Y-pipe.
http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...Pipe%20New.jpg
Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

None. Because Fvck the EPA.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks 99 and jimmyb I agree but I also gotta pass
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
None. Because Fvck the EPA.
I'm with this guy. My exhaust setup is called the Al Gore special. Doing my part to make his global warming claim become a reality.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metallic spun magna flow. 49 state obd 2 compliant and flow very well if you go dual 3" cats.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

None. Find a different shop lol. Buddy's 03 cobra passed emissions in Chicago with no cats. Realisticly if the car is tuned well and runs efficently should be fine. Just get it nice and hot before going to the station.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Like 99Bluz28 said, I would mount them in the same location that we do on ours for the best clearance. If you have to pass a sniffer test, use the Kooks "green cats". Otherwise if it's just a visual inspection use the Magnaflow style cats. Though, since the Magnaflow cats are moved much further downstream and flow so much they will still trip an O2 code so the rear O2's will still need to be turned off.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Like 99Bluz28 said, I would mount them in the same location that we do on ours for the best clearance. If you have to pass a sniffer test, use the Kooks "green cats". Otherwise if it's just a visual inspection use the Magnaflow style cats. Though, since the Magnaflow cats are moved much further downstream and flow so much they will still trip an O2 code so the rear O2's will still need to be turned off.

Lonnie
Will magnaflows pass the sniffer on a stock motor?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Will magnaflows pass the sniffer on a stock motor?
The Kooks "green cats" should. I still feel the Magnaflows flow too much. I couldn't give you a definite answer on that one.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
The Kooks "green cats" should. I still feel the Magnaflows flow too much. I couldn't give you a definite answer on that one.

Lonnie
Thanks for the input. Just trying to understand their purpose if they don't pass the sniffer. Might as well just go with "fake" cats if all a guy needs is a visual inspection. My only reason for wanting cats is to cut down on the raw fuel smell but if they don't pass a sniffer then I don't know that they'd cut down on the fumes either.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
Thanks for the input. Just trying to understand their purpose if they don't pass the sniffer. Might as well just go with "fake" cats if all a guy needs is a visual inspection. My only reason for wanting cats is to cut down on the raw fuel smell but if they don't pass a sniffer then I don't know that they'd cut down on the fumes either.

That's exactly why people use them. To cut down on the raw fuel smell and to pass "visual" inspection.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
None. Find a different shop lol. Buddy's 03 cobra passed emissions in Chicago with no cats. Realisticly if the car is tuned well and runs efficently should be fine. Just get it nice and hot before going to the station.
before i purchased my 4th gen couple years back, i owned a 87 IROC-Z 305TPI, cammed,ignition,full exhaust (hooker headers,hooker y-pipe,flowmaster cat-back) gutted single cat.... passed better than my full emissions car, with the sniffer in the tails also... like he said if its tuned correctly shouldnt have a problem. i left the stock cat housing on the y-pipe after i gutted it, so when they look its there... but inside my .02 cents.

also up yours EPA!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My frozenboost.com "cats" pass inspection every time. :-)

If you're not up for finding another shop and are absolutely certain about putting cats on the car, the Magnaflow cats 99BluZ28 noted above are some of the best you'll find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which catalytic conv do you use and why