Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My goto plugs are not as Accessible as they once we're. Anything any better in last ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My goto plugs are not as Accessible as they once we're. Anything any better in last ?

I've been out of commission for a while now, and to get my car back on the road I installed some autolite 103's to replace my NGk's I used to always run because I could not get them that day... However, with the Autolites I am experiencing major popping in 1st gear where I did not with the NGK'. I'm not sure what the "TR" number (I think they were 7's but could be 6's, but the plug number is BP7EFS and NGK says the stock number is 3526.

I used to run these because they were inexpensive and I could get them anywhere. My question now though, is there something that has proven to be better than these in the past 6-7 years? Like I said I have been out of the game for a while, and have not been keeping up with the latest and greatest as I used to, so any help would be appreciated.

My setup includes:
ForceFed High Performance 408 iron block (8:1)
ET Performance 225 heads
Futral custom cam
F1 procharger (12-15lbs)
LS6 intake
Kooks 1 7/8"-2" headers with 3.5" collector

I am currently running 93 octane, and it is kind of rich at idle, so something that doesn't foul easy would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited by Silver Slayer; 05-29-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Slayer
I've been out of commission for a while now, and to get my car back on the road I installed some autolite 103's to replace my NGk's I used to always run because I could not get them that day... However, with the Autolites I am experiencing major popping in 1st gear where I did not with the NGK'. I'm not sure what the "TR" number (I think they were 7's but could be 6's, but the plug number is BP7EFS and NGK says the stock number is 3526.

I used to run these because they were inexpensive and I could get them anywhere. My question now though, is there something that has proven to be better than these in the past 6-7 years? Like I said I have been out of the game for a while, and have not been keeping up with the latest and greatest as I used to, so any help would be appreciated.

My setup includes:
ForceFed High Performance 408 iron block (8:1)
ET Performance 225 heads
Futral custom cam
F1 procharger (12-15lbs)
LS6 intake
Kooks 1 7/8"-2" headers with 3.5" collector

I am currently running 93 octane, and it is kind of rich at idle, so something that doesn't foul easy would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Plugs won't fix a poorly tuned car. Trying to run hot plugs to fix an overly rich mixture this will cause a whole slew of issues in boost. Fix that first, then look to plugs.

Some ECU's dont' like non-resistor plugs. That may be part of your problem. Do those heads have a taper seat or a gasket? I'd run a BR7 range standard NGK plug.

Fix your tune first, then buy a new set of plugs after you get your tune fixed.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

go back to NGKs, several people notice that the LS engine is temperamental. Put a br7ef in it
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tune was fine when I ran the NGK plug previously. in went with the autolite due to their availability.

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Plugs won't fix a poorly tuned car. Trying to run hot plugs to fix an overly rich mixture this will cause a whole slew of issues in boost. Fix that first, then look to plugs.

Some ECU's dont' like non-resistor plugs. That may be part of your problem. Do those heads have a taper seat or a gasket? I'd run a BR7 range standard NGK plug.

Fix your tune first, then buy a new set of plugs after you get your tune fixed.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my initial impression was there was some other plug that everyone was preferring over the NGK TR6 and TR7 since the large parts stores are no longer stocking them. I would like to find something that is easily obtainable, but has the same reliability of what I used to run.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't see the br7ef on the NGK data sheet. is that a new number for tr7? thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
go back to NGKs, several people notice that the LS engine is temperamental. Put a br7ef in it
Old 05-29-2014, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oriley auto, advance, and autozone all carry NGK TR6 plugs in my area. They are the vforce style plugs BTW.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Slayer
the tune was fine when I ran the NGK plug previously. in went with the autolite due to their availability.
Plugs aren't going to change your idle AFR, you have other issues.

Quick Reply: My goto plugs are not as Accessible as they once we're. Anything any better in last ?