Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting converter back in 4L60E; I felt 3 separate movements and now rubs something!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Putting converter back in 4L60E; I felt 3 separate movements and now rubs something!

I'm swapping my vortec 5.7 for an LQ9 in a 99 tahoe, but keeping my 4L60E. I pulled the motor today w/o removing the torque converter (probably a big mistake) but I had room for it to come out so I left it on. Lost a good bit of tranny fluid thru the center hub, and I did see the seal output shaft seal was a bit ragged (maybe from me pulling it this way) so I put a new seal back in. So I went to put the torque converter back on the shaft, and when I put it on and started rotating I felt a distinct snap which I thought was the first set of splines catching, and kept spinning it and the 2nd set engaged, but I kept spinning just to make sure and I felt a 3rd engagement! Not sure if perhaps the first was just it actually getting on the shaft, because it was very awkward and heavy and slipping due to more tranny fluid being on my gloves. So I wouldn't be worried but while it does freely spin it feels/sounds like it is rubbing on something. I was thinking there shouldn't be any noise, but in my case there currently is. Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should pull the pump and inspect it before actually using it.. if you damaged the seal, its very possible the pump could be damaged. Just inspect it for peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Putting converter back in 4L60E; I felt 3 separate movements and now rubs something!