Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Sensor - ACDelco vs Duralast

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Crank Sensor - ACDelco vs Duralast

Looks like I am need of a crank sensor, so I browse AutoZone's website (so I can use my rewards) and they only carry their Duralast brand for $50+. I then Google and see that Amazon has an ACDelco #213-354 for $30 with free shipping, BUT, I see this disclaimer:
"Note: ACDelco partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a ACDelco package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent ACDelco supplier and could have a different color or shape than the product image above."

Curiosity gets the better of me and I call my local Autozone (I know them well) and I am told that both sensors are made by Wells/Airtek (sp?) and rebranded and their's cost more because it has a lifetime replacement warranty.

Hmm. Genuine GM replacement parts?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The old AC-Delco parts were original GM parts, post GM bankruptcy ACDelco parts are just reboxed parts from the lowest bidder. Just a guess but I'd bet Delphi was the OEM supplier for the crank sensor.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not true delco has never been it's "own brand" they have always contracted someone to make the parts like Delphi Bosch or denso. In this case I can't say what the difference between the two is but I would venture to guess the original sensor was made by one of those big 3
Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I see NAPA has the Delphi on their website but it will be about $100 after taxes from my local store!!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Not true delco has never been it's "own brand" they have always contracted someone to make the parts like Delphi Bosch or denso. In this case I can't say what the difference between the two is but I would venture to guess the original sensor was made by one of those big 3
Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my crank sensor chasing down a problem that the new one didnt fix. I used the autozone duralast brand sensor with no side effects. The included instructions said to do a case relearn to make sure all went well. I drove it about 200 miles before using hptuners to do the relearn. It did not throw a code before or after the relearn. I have roughly 10,000 miles on it running strong. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

True I guess I should have worded what I said better. But before they where more likely to be from the original OEM supplier now it's just the lowest bidder. I remember back in '08 seeing the difference between a old AC-Delco oil filter and a new ACDelco oil filter you didn't even need to open the boxes to tell them apart the new one was noticeably lighter. After opening the box you could see why, you could tell the case was thinner by squeezing it and the top plate was thinner with half as many threads and smaller holes, and yes they where the same part number. But in the case of a crank sensor I'd just run what ever is cheaper or more convenient to buy.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Fry_
I remember back in '08 seeing the difference between a old AC-Delco oil filter and a new ACDelco oil filter you didn't even need to open the boxes to tell them apart the new one was noticeably lighter. After opening the box you could see why, you could tell the case was thinner by squeezing it and the top plate was thinner with half as many threads and smaller holes, and yes they where the same part number.
This is not *entirely* true... The "cheap" filter you are referring to has an "E" at the end of the part number (i.e. PF46 v PF46E). "E core" is what they're known as. The "old" filters are still there and readily available.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Not true delco has never been it's "own brand" they have always contracted someone to make the parts....
There was a time that AC-Delco did make all their own parts. I think it was in the '90's that they started to go "global".

It was around that same time that "reboxing" became commonplace. A Wagner brake pad set would go into a EIS box then in six months it would go into a Raybestos box.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This is not *entirely* true... The "cheap" filter you are referring to has an "E" at the end of the part number (i.e. PF46 v PF46E). "E core" is what they're known as. The "old" filters are still there and readily available.
Could be true, I can't exactly go back and check. But anyway you look at it they aren't always the same quality they use to be and aren't worth paying the extra money that they usually want for them.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

But anyway you look at it they aren't always the same quality they use to be and aren't worth paying the extra money that they usually want for them.
I agree. The minimum filter I use on any engine is a Mobil1 Extended.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use Wix/CarQuest blue/NAPA gold filters on almost everything. But I guess I should have worded it better I was referring to all ACDelco parts. Why buy a ACDelco belt or hose when I can get a Gates or Goodyear for cheaper, thermostat Stant is cheaper, Moog steering and suspension parts, hell MSD plug wire's are cheaper than ACDelco OE plug wires. The list goes on and on, and I wont be guessing who made the part that's in the box.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

A recent ACDelco part I bought:
Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

And this one, made in Mexico (yes, I had to bring my Chevy parts guy White Castle sliders):
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

HOWEVER, I will say this: I bought a 20 buck IAC for my daily beater '03 Blazer and the PCM could never "learn" it. It constantly ran the idle high. Like cruise control on the highway. Getting the 60 buck ACDelco version, while made in China, was the cure.

In this photo, two new A/C condensers for the Firebird. Aftermarket in black, ACDelco on left. BOTH made in China. The ACDelco unit obviously has the correct number of tubes and will be more efficient than the aftermarket unit. It's build quality seemed off and it's slightly bowed but it appears that going with ACDelco, while it's an import, at least follows the original design spec.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
[...]it appears that going with ACDelco, while it's an import, at least follows the original design spec.
Which is precisely why some of us like sticking with ACDelco for replacement parts. It might be made in China, Mexico, Jupiter, etc. right next to retail parts, but contractors/manufacturers are given specifications/standards for each particular client/order. If there are multiple vendors which can meet those specifications, why does it matter if ACDelco awards the contract to the lowest bidder?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Which is precisely why some of us like sticking with ACDelco for replacement parts. It might be made in China, Mexico, Jupiter, etc. right next to retail parts, but contractors/manufacturers are given specifications/standards for each particular client/order. If there are multiple vendors which can meet those specifications, why does it matter if ACDelco awards the contract to the lowest bidder?
That makes sense sometimes when original OEM construction is critical but you need to make sure the part description says that, many times they sell 2 grades of parts a cheap one and a OEM grade part. I'd also bet there are times that only the cheaper part is offered. If I can verify that a original part was made by Delphi , Bosch, or some other OEM supplier I'd just rather buy that part and know what I'm buying and who made it. I wont argue that there are times where if you want to be sure you get the right part you have to just pay the extra money for either ACDelco or go to the dealership.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

That makes sense sometimes when original OEM construction is critical but you need to make sure the part description says that, many times they sell 2 grades of parts a cheap one and a OEM grade part.
There are actually three levels through ACDelco (that I'm aware of, anyway). Advantage would be their "value" level, Professional is their "meets or exceeds OE" level (this would be a premium level part from Advance, Pep Boys, etc.), and then GM OEM. You'd be surprised the amount of OEM parts that are still available from ACDelco for our cars. Many are branded with both an ACDelco # and GM SPO # on the same sticker/box -- with the ACDelco being cheaper! Heck, when I worked in a Chevy parts department, we actually purchased ACDelco parts from a vendor rather than order by the GM part number from SPO! This saved not only us money, but also the customer.

Quick Reply: Crank Sensor - ACDelco vs Duralast