Sponsored by:

Changing out Rod Bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing out Rod Bolts???

Can anyone offer some advice?

My formula is getting a new cam, heads, springs so I thought now would be a good time to change the rod bolts too.

I am doing all the work myself as far as installation, removal, etc. How hard is this? I have access to a lift, or a cherry picker if the engine needs to come out. Right now the intake, vavle gaskets, heads, and headers are off the car. I still need to pull my cam as well. Will I be better off pulling the engine out to do the cam and rod bolts, or just leave it in and work around everything?

Anyone have a write up on how to change them? TIA!

Rob
Old 05-18-2004, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure if theres any way to do it without pulling the motor.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Toonz

My formula is getting a new cam, heads, springs so I thought now would be a good time to change the rod bolts too.

I am doing all the work myself as far as installation, removal, etc. How hard is this? I have access to a lift, or a cherry picker if the engine needs to come out. Right now the intake, vavle gaskets, heads, and headers are off the car. I still need to pull my cam as well. Will I be better off pulling the engine out to do the cam and rod bolts, or just leave it in and work around everything?

Rob
I've been there. The pan will not come off with the stock K-member in the car. You can't lift the engine high enough before the bellhousing/tranny hit the body. I simply hung the engine from the STB and dropped the K-member since I was changing to a BMR anyway. You can get the pan off and on with the BMR by lifting the engine off the mounts. Otherwise pull the engine.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I was needing to know... I guess it's coming out tomorrow or thursday. Thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toonz

Rob

Changing rod bolts in an engine isn't the way to go nor have I heard anyone doing it that way. Generally, when changing rod bolts you resize the big end because the bolt doesn't just slide out, you have to knock it out.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glen
Changing rod bolts in an engine isn't the way to go nor have I heard anyone doing it that way. Generally, when changing rod bolts you resize the big end because the bolt doesn't just slide out, you have to knock it out.
You're confused just as I was before someone straightened me out. An LS1 rod bolt simply slides thru the cap and threads into the rod, thus changing them out for better quality bolts is very easy and quick
Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Ever seen an ls1 rod bolt?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a couple you can take a look at, gotta wait till this weekend until I pull the pieces of them out of the bottom of the oil pan

-Sly
Old 05-18-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

This is not grandpa's 350.... The LS1's use regular style bolts that thread in, not the old school rod bolts that have been used for the past 50 years.

As to changing them, just remove one at a time. The ARP's will require you to retorque them 3 times to get proper bolt strech. If you do it with the engine in the car, wear saftey glasses. I learned the hard way that oil is not meant to go into your eye. One small drop burns like a bitch!!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to the 1998 Service Manual (Volume 3, p. 6-297) you can remove the oil pan (with a stock k member) without taking the engine out. Does anyone have any experience doing this?