General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Incosistent Idle after warm up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Incosistent Idle after warm up.

Quick history.

Car has headers, cat back exhaust and tune.

New parts are as follows:
spark plugs
plug wires
IAC
PCV
TPS
Coolant temp sensor - see below
85mm maf
fuel filter
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator

So yesterday I was pulling into the gun range and I noticed my temp gauge dropped to 0, idle was just enough to stay running, and also my battery gauge was dropping to just above the yellow warning line. Figured ok coolant temp sensor is going bad, np. When I came out of the range the car fired up and there appeared to be no issues. Nonetheless I went to the auto parts store bought the temp sensor and that seemed to resolve the issue. So today I went driving around, multiple stops long treks all that fun stuff. I get home shut it off and fire it back up about 10 minutes later and bam, rough idle with a battery gauge right at yellow. Now, the temp gauge was no longer dropping to 0 so that was a good thing. At this point I wait another 5 minutes and fire the car back up and boom, no issues goes to around 1k rpms than settles back to normal like it should. This issue with the rough low idle has been plaguing me even before all of the above was replaced, it only happens once in a blue moon and I am completely stumped at this point. I can only surmise that maybe my alternator and/or battery is taking a dump but I am tired of chasing gremlins and would love some expert advice.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that I am also not getting any codes. The only time I had anything come up was when my temp gauge dropped to 0 although the left service vehicle light may have gone off simply because my driver side drl had finally toasted itself. Wired in a new socket and all is well with both DRL's now but odd problem still persists with occasional low idle and low voltage.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your alternator is going out. Have autozone run a check on it for you and check the battery too. Sounds like the belt is slipping or the alternator or the alternator is on its way out.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

I ordered a new alternator off of rockauto so I am hoping that will cure my issue. I also am going to take a long hard look at the wiring just to cover all of my bases. Belt is new and doesn't make any noise so I think I am ok there. I had ps pump issues leaking all over my alt before I bought my turn one pump so I am going to guess that may have lead to this. I appreciate the reply ty.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Belts don't make noise, pulleys make noise.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Belts don't make noise, pulleys make noise.
Belts do make noises. When belts slip on the pulley they squeak. Spray brake cleaner on a belt that is squeaking and if the squeak goes away it's the belt. If not it's a pulley.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Belts do make noises. When belts slip on the pulley they squeak. Spray brake cleaner on a belt that is squeaking and if the squeak goes away it's the belt. If not it's a pulley.
Yeah was gonna say I have had plenty of squeaky belts over the years, i promise you they can squeak. As for the original topic I found my engine to chassis grounding strap is broken go figure. Gonna go through and check all of my grounds at this point. I have owned a lot of f bodies and I have never had so many issues keep popping up on me like this car has.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah and screw autocrap there testing methods are garbage. Figured out more with my own multimeter. I thought maybe they had some new special equipment I was unaware of, silly me for thinking that ****.

UPDATE: So yeah the exciter wire plug was full of ps fluid....great place for the alternator, I might look into one of those relocation kits.

Last edited by NightwalkerLS1; 06-09-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Incosistent Idle after warm up.