Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 axle leak, another thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moser 9 axle leak, another thread

Struggling to find a "how to" on replacing bearing and seals for my 9". I have what looks like grease on the backs of my backing plate. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disassemble the brakes.

It's 2 bolts for the caliper slide pins and the bracket is 2 bolts to the housing. Support the brake caliper so it is not hanging. Pull the rotor off. The parking brake boot can be tapped up a bit off the clip then rotated down so you can just pull it off. The parking brake cable can be unhooked from the back. Careful of the adjustment pieces for the parking brake, they can fall out easy. Note orientation as to which side is the adjustment side.

Unbolt the backing plate from the axle housing. The axle itself should have a hole where you can reach a socket and unbolt each bolt. There are 4 bolts/nuts.

Pull on the axle/backing plate. Should be just some RTV holding it in now without any bolts. Once the axle slides out enough, you should be able to see what broke. On mine the outer seal on the bearing "popped" off. The bearing needs to be replaced. Up to this point you can handle where removing the old one can be "cut" off with a dremel or slide hammer. Recommend cutting as not all slide hammers can accommodate the backing plate in the way.

Now the new bearing needs to be pressed on. I had to take it to a shop with a press. Took me longer to cut off/repress the bearing than it did to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing.

The only tricky part is putting on then adjusting the parking brake. You need to adjust the parking brake adjustment so its small enough that you can pull apart the boot by hand to place it on. You then need to adjust it to the point you can put on the rotor but still have reasonable parking break grab. I just use a screwdriver to rotate the assembly. Lube it well else its not going to turn easily with the boot clamping it.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another option you might call moser, they used to have warranties on their parts. They could check your shafts for straightness/twist, and replace your bearings for a good price..just an fyi

Quick Reply: Moser 9 axle leak, another thread