General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

plastic fuel line before the fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic fuel line before the fuel filter

I recently just replaced my fuel filter on my 98 Z28. The plastic line that goes into the fuel filter "crimped" as I was replacing it. Although it is not leaking... I would like to replace it just incase to prevent it leaking at random. I have searched and cannot find the exact part number or part description of what this fuel line is. Can anybody clarify the part number or what this line is called? It has the quick disconnect that goes into the fuel filter and runs up towards the tank. Also, if anyone would let me know how to replace it properly, it would be much appreciated. I would hate to have to drop the tank for this. But if need be I will. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails plastic fuel line before the fuel filter-fuel-line.jpg  

Last edited by Fast98Z28; 06-09-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I Have come across Dorman Part number 800-058. It has the quick disconnect with 18 inches of the 3/8" nylon tubing. Does anyone know if this is long enough to connect to the other fitting? I would hate to have to splice the line. I would much rather it be all one piece. I wouldn't mind going to the junk yard but I don't want it to end up being a dry rotted line.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I.d try the dealer, its all one piece plastic hose to the tank.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking about that. But I also did come across that part number that I mention in my previous comment. I guess it is not long enough to reach the tank. I could splice it where it cracked and put a fitting in with some clamps in it. I did come across some info last night. But if I drop the tank I am going to do a whole new fuel pump and lines... etc. Right now I do not have the funds for that so I think I may go that route for now. When the fuel pump goes, I can drop the tank then.

You said its all once piece... do you happen to know the GM part number?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Dealer said the part was $230 and was discontinued. I guess I will just cut out the piece that is crimped and splice it with a fitting. I am going to use hot water to heat the ends of the nylon and shove the fitting into the tube.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So how did this turn out? Sooner or later we will all need a replacement, IMHO. Mine has been kinked by the prev owner, fwiw.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Dorman PN 800-011 (3/8" barb) and Dorman PN 800-058 (quick disconnect with 18in of nylon fuel line)
I re inspected where the nylon line was crimped. And it was truthfully not all that bad, I could not see any visual cracks. I cut a line off one at the junk yard and test fit the 3/8" barb to make sure I could actually slide it in the tube. But those two part numbers will get you what you need to make this repair. Mine could have been crimped for years and hasn't leaked at all. So I made sure to keep these in my car with a tube cutter incase I have to make an emergency road side repair. Although you will need to use hot boiling water to heat the end of the nylon so you can slide the barb in all the way. Then it shrinks back down and creates the seal. I think both part numbers were right about $30 for both. They were both in stock at Autozone.

There is also Dorman PN 800-145 that you can use with nylon that actually crimps the nylon tube together.

Last edited by Fast98Z28; 06-18-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: plastic fuel line before the fuel filter