Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory alarm only chirps once upon arming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory alarm only chirps once upon arming?

Just today, my alarm started chirping only once when I arm it. It's always chirped twice before. The lights still flash once and the LED in the dash blinks every couple seconds. That seems normal. Could a shock sensor be going bad?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

One chirp means somethings open (like a door or the hatch). Usually, its the hatch. Open it and reclose it. Make sure it closes fully.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Beautiful, I went out and checked the doors and hatch. None of them appeared to be open. I opened and closed all of them though and that did the trick. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
Beautiful, I went out and checked the doors and hatch. None of them appeared to be open. I opened and closed all of them though and that did the trick. Thanks!
Many times the hatch looks closed but it's not. Chances are the hatch was released but didn't pop up. A lot of 4-gen F-bodies have a weak spring on the latch assembly causing it not to be fully released. You can add another spring along side of the existing spring; this will let the hatch fully release and pop up. I have to do this mod on my SS and my WS6. Most of the time I have to push the hatch release button two times to release it so I can raise the hatch. If I am using the remote to open the hatch I have to lightly lift the hatch while pushing the remote button. Do a search for the spring/latch mod.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

http://www.blackcamaro.com/trunklid.htm

I replaced my spring with a stronger one. It opens easily now, but its harder to close. Sometimes I have to re-pop it and try again. An easy way to tell if the hatch if not fully closed is that the gap between the hatch and taillights looks unusually large.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

you know what, i've heard most f-bodies honk twice when locked. i have never heard mine honk twice. its always done once. i always close everything right, whats up?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I dont know about that. Maybe one of the lock sensors has gone bad.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
http://www.blackcamaro.com/trunklid.htm

I replaced my spring with a stronger one. It opens easily now, but its harder to close. Sometimes I have to re-pop it and try again.
Ditto. I thought this was a great fix till I realized that I was having to close my trunk 58 times until it shut all the way or I would just slam it hard the first time. Seems like any fix you try on these cars just causes something else to hassle you.