Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"

This is a video of my 5.3 truck intake being shaved using the process of plastic welding to close the holes. Also, all of the vacuum ports and sensors are relocated to the rear of the intake. Truck has been driven for a week now and everything looks good.

This plastic is some strong stuff. I tested the strength by welding two pieces of scrap together and then trying to break them apart. I could not do it by hand. STRONG! I also knuckle punched each hole I plugged and they were solid.

Here's the vide. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"-photogrid_1399607160759.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"-20140503_133010.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"-photogrid_1399088469333.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"-20140514_205111.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"-20140508_180929.jpg  

Last edited by AGearHead4Life; 06-16-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gr8 job ����
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, you have much patients. Killer job man
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good. Plan on painting it?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Looks good. Plan on painting it?
Yea, later on I plan to pull it off smooth it better and paint it to match the truck. I may also cut it in half to port the inside.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parks450
Wow, you have much patients. Killer job man
Mark, another great job! I've just duplicated what is on your LS1 Head Porting Video on my 806s. Can't wait to get it back together.
You have more "patients" than the hospital!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone else who has plastic welding experience, I'm happy with your methods & results. You worked the material down at the joints & filled over, which gives good penetration & enough thickness to sand without worrying about being too thin. Plastic isn't molecularly as strong after welding, so any extra thickness sure helps durability.

I eventually want to get back to my project of making an aluminum top cross ram dual plenum intake attached to an ls1 base I cut down to attach to with silicone hose. But if I don't ever get closer to having enough time, I may just port & shave a truck intake
Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gMAG
Mark, another great job! I've just duplicated what is on your LS1 Head Porting Video on my 806s. Can't wait to get it back together.
You have more "patients" than the hospital!
haha Thank you gMAG! Awesome about your heads. If you remember, shoot me a PM on how they perform once you get it together. I'd love to hear about it.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
As someone else who has plastic welding experience, I'm happy with your methods & results. You worked the material down at the joints & filled over, which gives good penetration & enough thickness to sand without worrying about being too thin. Plastic isn't molecularly as strong after welding, so any extra thickness sure helps durability.

I eventually want to get back to my project of making an aluminum top cross ram dual plenum intake attached to an ls1 base I cut down to attach to with silicone hose. But if I don't ever get closer to having enough time, I may just port & shave a truck intake
Cool! Thanks for the feedback jl! This was my first time welding plastic actually. So your input is appreciated.

I most definitely understand that lack of time issue. Scrounging for time to build is hard. Sounds like a cool intake project you've got going on there. Got a build thread yet? I'd like to see it.

I also want to build an aluminum lower intake manifold to sit a GT500 supercharger on top of my 5.3. I believe I saw a BMW here on ls1tech that had done somethings similar to what I want to do.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For a supercharger intake you could always partially cheat & chop up a used cast aluminum efi intake like an edelbrock. You wouldn't have to fab the more complex efi nozzle area , at least. Shame you can find sheets of nylon 66 glass filled, a modified nylon intake for supercharger would be pretty cool also. Edit;; I did see some sheet material listed in black 30% glass filled, but super expensive. May check with the local Sabic Polymershapes when I get time.

Don't have any really good build threads going on, as most of my work, including the plastic welding project of the 2010 Camaro nose conversion in 09' was before my being on the internet days.
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?...7#.U5pJUCxOWJA

Even got the nod of approval from a gm engineer on my intake ideas.http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/8...+plenum+intake

Last edited by jlcustomz; 06-13-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For a supercharger intake you could always partially cheat & chop up a used cast aluminum efi intake like an edelbrock. You wouldn't have to fab the more complex efi nozzle area , at least. Shame you can find sheets of nylon 66 glass filled, a modified nylon intake for supercharger would be pretty cool also. Edit;; I did see some sheet material listed in black 30% glass filled, but super expensive. May check with the local Sabic Polymershapes when I get time.

Don't have any really good build threads going on, as most of my work, including the plastic welding project of the 2010 Camaro nose conversion in 09' was before my being on the internet days.
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?...7#.U5pJUCxOWJA

Even got the nod of approval from a gm engineer on my intake ideas.http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/8...+plenum+intake
Sounds Cool! Thanks for sharing. I'll check those out.

ON the intake that was kinda my first idea, to just chop up an existing one, but even those cost a couple hundred. I was able to find a buddy that will be able to fab up the flanges cheaper. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are places that offer flanges, but my only thought of using an existing efi intake is to not have to set up to make & get the fuel injection nozzles correct for a 1 time project.https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...y-ls1-bmw.html

I called the local sabic plastics distributor today, waiting on an email back about nylon 66 30% glass filled sheets. Could be handy.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 06-13-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome job. Gotta love it when you take your time and your project comes out how you planned.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are places that offer flanges, but my only thought of using an existing efi intake is to not have to set up to make & get the fuel injection nozzles correct for a 1 time project.https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...y-ls1-bmw.html

I called the local sabic plastics distributor today, waiting on an email back about nylon 66 30% glass filled sheets. Could be handy.
Yes! That is the thread that my ideas are feeding off of. That was an awesome build he did.

I was thinking the same about the flanges and injector bungs but figured I'd try it with stately of more labor then cash. I've gotten the bungs already.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Awesome job. Gotta love it when you take your time and your project comes out how you planned.
Thats it! Thanks Firebirdmuscle!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've added a couple still images to the first post.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Wow, you have much patients.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Just an idea on the rear plug where MAP is relocated.

This guy says intake is made of nylon 6/6.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16290469-post59.html

Thinking cutting rear oval plug to the flat then buying some nylon 6/6 sheet 3/8 or 1/2 thick to weld it in place of. Should make a nice large flat area to drill and tap or weld too for vacuum ports.

MAP should fit into a drilled 3/8 hole then make a hold down bracket for the MAP.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Great job. Excellent video. We all thank you:
Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a couple videos with the engine running with this intake on. I'm still learning to tune but Its running decent.

Walk around and engine close up right after swap video:

Test drive video:

Quick Reply: LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"