Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AEM 1000HP pump for a hundred bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AEM 1000HP pump for a hundred bucks?

Anyone using these? Have to be somebody at that price. Hard to believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-50-1000-HIGH-FLOW-IN-TANK-FUEL-PUMP-UNIVERSAL-320-LPH-UP-TO-1000-HP-/231173623008?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d3058ce0&vxp=mtr
How do you insert the listing so it can be seen in this thread without just being a link?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Checking to see if its a knockoff. $107 on AEM's website. They offer E85 units. Maybe all of you know about this but its news to me. Currently shopping for a pump I could afford. I have to save up for everything but $100 wont hurt much at all. Any complaints or is this still pretty new?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

That pump has been around for awhile. You really need to look at the LPH flow at the fuel rail pressures you will be using.

Notice the * at the bottom of the AD.

* Power rating given at 43 PSI, 13.5v at the pump with a BSFC of .5. Flow capability for horsepower support is ultimately dependent on fuel hose diameter, and system electrical voltage and amperage capabilities.
BSFC on a turbo car is much higher and fuel pressures will be as well. I'd bet you'd need 3 of those pumps to support 1000hp on e85.

The walbro 450lph pumps cost roughly the same, are E85 compatible, and flow more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WALBRO-E85-FLEX-RACING-HIGH-PRESSURE-F9000267-FUEL-PUMP-450LPH-750HP-/171286848776?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e17de508&vxp=mtr
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

320lph supporting 1000hp ??

Aye, dead on.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking My thot's

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
320lph supporting 1000hp ??

Aye, dead on.
exactly!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
That pump has been around for awhile. You really need to look at the LPH flow at the fuel rail pressures you will be using.

Notice the * at the bottom of the AD.

BSFC on a turbo car is much higher and fuel pressures will be as well. I'd bet you'd need 3 of those pumps to support 1000hp on e85.

The walbro 450lph pumps cost roughly the same, are E85 compatible, and flow more.
Im just getting to the fuel plumbing on my Vette' project and after looking at Aeromotive stuff it seemed really cheap. I dont know what HP I am shooting for but I want to buy a pump only once. Still have a lot to learn. I admit I am easily intrigued with big HP claims by a name brand. Well... maybe not that easy. I had been saving up for the Aeromotive A1000. I dont care if its in tank or not. Maybe just stick with that plan. I dont really know what fuel pressure will be needed. A quick lesson on that would be appreciated.

Like I said Im just getting to the fuel system but I plan to learn everything there is to know before its done.
Here is the beast as it stands today..
Attached Thumbnails AEM 1000HP pump for a hundred bucks?-motor6-10-14.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used that pump on my cousins truck. 5.3 10lbs of boost. Tsp cam etc. etc. 60lb of fuel pressure and builds pressure fine on factory lines and regulator. We did have to hack up the plastic case around the pump for it to fit though. We thought it would be near drop in but it wasn't. Also uses older electrical connector but comes with one to swap out. So far the pump hasn't left us wanting for fuel. But we are not no where near 1000hp. Maybe 600 maybe.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM
8 Second Club

Impossible to suggest a pump without a power goal! You'd have to guess what the motor makes NA and approx how much boost it will take to get to your goal. That thing looks like a monster, I'd aim high! Also need to know what fuel you'll be running. Street or track duty? Fuel line sizing and injector size for the desired amount of HP also play a big part.

I like in tank pumps personally. They tend to run cooler and be quieter. A1000 is over rated IMO. It's not very impressive flow wise (esp. at high pressure), it's loud, and its expensive. Mine and a few others I've worked with ran hot as well without a pump controller.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 06-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Impossible to suggest a pump without a power goal! You'd have to guess what the motor makes NA and approx how much boost it will take to get to your goal. That thing looks like a monster, I'd aim high! Also need to know what fuel you'll be running. Street or track duty? Fuel line sizing and injector size for the desired amount of HP also play a big part.

I like in tank pumps personally. They tend to run cooler and be quieter. A1000 is over rated IMO. It's not very impressive flow wise (esp. at high pressure), it's loud, and its expensive. Mine and a few others I've worked with ran hot as well without a pump controller.
It is a monster, or could be. Not a race car. Im old enough to not be challenged at every light. I have no intentions of breaking the motor. Its a 1997 LS1 block. Original came with the car. Everything done to it, a lot of nice machining. Forged everything, nice heads and a few custom parts as you can see. Plan on running pump gas with an additive if need be. California premium.

Getting to the point that I have to make a fuel pump decision to get the fuel system finished up. Motor is well capable of 1k HP. May be a street tune of 8-900. Has a cool meth system. Not decided on a controller. Drive train is all top notch everything. If not the A1000, then what do you suggest?
RonO
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lasershop
It is a monster, or could be. Not a race car. Im old enough to not be challenged at every light. I have no intentions of breaking the motor. Its a 1997 LS1 block. Original came with the car. Everything done to it, a lot of nice machining. Forged everything, nice heads and a few custom parts as you can see. Plan on running pump gas with an additive if need be. California premium.

Getting to the point that I have to make a fuel pump decision to get the fuel system finished up. Motor is well capable of 1k HP. May be a street tune of 8-900. Has a cool meth system. Not decided on a controller. Drive train is all top notch everything. If not the A1000, then what do you suggest?
RonO
Without knowing a ton of specifics it’s still hard. I don’t even know if your motor could handle 20lbs without detonation issues on pump gas. Assuming it could I would guess something like this…

If you make 450 on motor.
You’d need roughly 18-20psi to hit 1000hp.

Guessing high at .65 BSFC
90% DC on the injectors
You’d need 108lbs an hour of injector with 43psi base pressure.

I’d just look for 96lb injectors and bump fuel pressure a bit if you need it. You can always push injectors past 90% DC and your BSFC prob won’t be quite that high.

You’d need a pump(s) capable of 576LPH @63psi.

I’d go with two walbro 450’s in the tank. They will be quiet and flow more than you need. Many hook up a boost switch so the second pump only comes on in boost. Should give you 750lph+ at 13.5v, so there's room to grow if you wanted to turn it up.

If you just wanted one inline pump, go with this and be done with it. It's loud, but it will handle serious power. Not sure how loud your exhaust will be but I run one of these with 4 rubber isolaters and it is pretty obnoxious.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp-4303

Last edited by Forcefed86; 06-12-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify this and I will make a decision based on it. One question, are the twin pumps plumbed in parallel or in series?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify this and I will make a decision based on it. One question, are the twin pumps plumbed in parallel or in series?
Depends.

If you want double flow or a large increase in flow, always parallel.

If you want to boost pressure making ability with a small increase in flow over a single pump, series.

It would be rare to run 2 pumps in series on the same line though.

Quick Reply: AEM 1000HP pump for a hundred bucks?