General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help with a possible electrical issue! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a possible electrical issue! please help!!!

so yesterday i was cleaning under the hood of my 00 Z28 (M6) & accidentally a wrench touch the positive side of the battery with one end and the other end touched the AC condensor, which caused a small spark. would that be the reason why my car didnt want to turn on today in the morning?? after that happened last night i didnt attempt to turn it on.. i just continued to clean away. In the morning before work i turned the ignition and all the needles on my gauges went a bit crazy.,., (flikering up and down) i theb tried to turn it on and it wouldnt crank as if the battery was dead// not even the windows or stero would turn on. some people at work are telling me i might have blown out a fuse?? is that possibly true?? im waiting to get off work to begin to examine it from head to toe. any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ,
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a volt meter across the battery + and - terminals and measure voltage. you should have above 12.40 volts. doing what you did cannot blow a fuse. my guess is you have an old battery that's about to die anyway and it was coincidence. you said small spark too, but that might have been because you barely and quickly made contact so tough to tell without measuring battery voltage, all your other systems simply indicate dead battery. and if you were cleaning for a while having the doors open radio on... dead battery your quick touch to ground drained the last of it.

Quick Reply: need help with a possible electrical issue! please help!!!