Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does a solid roller cam make more power than hyd.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does a solid roller cam make more power than hyd.......

I mean, what is taking place inside to make more?

Also, what else needs to be changed, or can you just do a cam?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

I know they are better b/c valve float isn't an option with the solid roller set up. But I think the lobes on any roller cams are more bulkey(wider on the sides and don't come to as much of a tip). But the difference off a solid roller and a hydraulic roller I'm not sure about.

Josh S.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hydraulic cam: a cam using lifters that has a valve-controlled plunger inside its body, preloading the pushrod at the closed valve position through oil pressure lift: distance the valve is depressed from its seat when closed to the peak valve lift when open fully

mechanical (solid) cam: a cam using lifters with only a radiused contact face in which the pushrod end sits without internal valves or other complexity; requires periodic lash setting
Old 05-19-2004, 12:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

You get the valve open quicker and usually higher so the valvetrain intensity is much higher. You do not have all the seat timing also causing exhaust and intake reversion that you do on a hydraulic cam.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by racer7088
You get the valve open quicker and usually higher so the valvetrain intensity is much higher. You do not have all the seat timing also causing exhaust and intake reversion that you do on a hydraulic cam.
So, with my 436 stroker for instance, how much RWHP and RWTQ would I pick by JUST changing to a solid roller and nothing else?

(and of course whatever parts that need to go with the solid roller)
Old 05-19-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
hydraulic cam: a cam using lifters that has a valve-controlled plunger inside its body, preloading the pushrod at the closed valve position through oil pressure lift: distance the valve is depressed from its seat when closed to the peak valve lift when open fully

mechanical (solid) cam: a cam using lifters with only a radiused contact face in which the pushrod end sits without internal valves or other complexity; requires periodic lash setting

what??????
Old 05-19-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Parts needed: adjustable rockers, lifters, pushrods, springs, retainers, locks and cam
Postives- Ability to run more lift, duration and rpm = more power
Negatives- have to be adjusted regularly, high spring pressure can crack valve seats, shorter interval to change springs and overall cost

Usually lsX people use this on primarily race cars to get max power when drivability is not a concern.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Quickin
So, with my 436 stroker for instance, how much RWHP and RWTQ would I pick by JUST changing to a solid roller and nothing else?

(and of course whatever parts that need to go with the solid roller)
Well that's fairly hard to tell because it depends on what kind of cams you/re comparing and how aggressive or mild they are in the first place. The larger you go the more the solid can gain. On a 224 Hyd. VS solid roller I wouldn't expect to see as much difference but on a 244 there would be more (maybe 10-20) and on a 264 there woudl be a substantial amount (maybe 15-30) since you are starting to add extremely crazy seat timing on the hydraulic. The Solid roller will have maybe 40 degrees +/- some depending on the lash.

The solid will pick up the low end and idle vacuum due to this lower seat timing and overlap 99 per cent of the time.