Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone here ever changed the color of their car??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here ever changed the color of their car??

I have a blue 99 convertible Firebird, which I would love to convert to green. Anyone have any experience on this? Is it too much work? I can do most of the body work myself, but the paint will be done by a local shop. Any experiences?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

well there's the cheap way of just spraying the outside, then there is the correct way of yanking the motor and interior (at least partial interior) so all the jambs can be done and the engine bay can be done, but by then your talking the value of the car in the paint job, so it's not super common to do that.

what is the current color of the car? I ask because my last honda was the dark green and the PO had Maaco repaint it black (the cheap way, no jambs or engine bay) and you barely noticed it because of how close the colors where.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Walsh11
I have a blue 99 convertible Firebird, which I would love to convert to green. Anyone have any experience on this? Is it too much work? I can do most of the body work myself, but the paint will be done by a local shop. Any experiences?
My 79 trans am was blue when I bought it. Well being 18 years old and my friends having a 500hp black 72 Bronco and a black 68 Firebird I painted the car black. I also swaped to a black interior.

If a pro shop is doing it all its going to require is more money, assuming you are spraying the jams, under hood, etc.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'll eventually get to repainting mine a different color. My firebird is Bright Purple Metallic, and I absolutely hate the color, I don't give a rat's *** how "unique" it is.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristopherWelkin
I'll eventually get to repainting mine a different color. My firebird is Bright Purple Metallic, and I absolutely hate the color, I don't give a rat's *** how "unique" it is.
Why the heck did you buy it if you hate the color.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Why the heck did you buy it if you hate the color.
I bought it in running condition for $1000. As a college student paying through school, it could've been painted bright pink and I still would make that purchase.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I just changed my 95 from dark green to sublime green and black. did it all myself and it didnt turn out as bad as i expected. pulled the engine, front bumper, headlights, rear bumper, handles, locks, door panels, spoiler, wiper arms, cowl panel, tails, and filler panel. Its tedious, but saves a ton of money.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever changed the color of their car??