Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80e swap 3rd tq lock but no od

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80e swap 3rd tq lock but no od

i just swaped a circle d 3200/4l80e in my 4.8 95 rcsb pickup, and sent the computer to lt1swap for tuning (segment swap)
got every thing buttoned up, iss wired, connector repined, trans go hd2
3000 rpm at 70 with 3.42 gears
also my pcm was programed for 4.10 gears that isnt installed yet, could that be it (speedo is off by about 8-9 mph)
no cel on
iv tried adjusting the nss switch but no cigar there, shift cable is adjusted properly (PRNDetc)
iv searched google up and down left and right with no luck. posted on peformancetrucks.net but no real bites there now im just lost

the tcc solenoid should be working if i get lock up in third, right?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible the locking in 3rd gear is actually overdrive and the converter is not locking up? If so it could be a bad lockup solenoid. It would be good to get access to a scanner and see exactly what the transmission is commanding.

-Brian
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWnEASY
i just swaped a circle d 3200/4l80e in my 4.8 95 rcsb pickup, and sent the computer to lt1swap for tuning (segment swap)
got every thing buttoned up, iss wired, connector repined, trans go hd2
3000 rpm at 70 with 3.42 gears
also my pcm was programed for 4.10 gears that isnt installed yet, could that be it (speedo is off by about 8-9 mph)
no cel on
iv tried adjusting the nss switch but no cigar there, shift cable is adjusted properly (PRNDetc)
iv searched google up and down left and right with no luck. posted on peformancetrucks.net but no real bites there now im just lost

the tcc solenoid should be working if i get lock up in third, right?
You didn't post 1/2 of the info in this thread on the trucks side's thread...

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ng-3rd-529865/

It's odd that you don't have a check engine light for the miss match in gear ratio. Have you hooked up a scanner and looked for pending codes?

Usually miss fires are the cause for lock up not engaging. Sometimes aftermarket stall converters can cause this to happen since they react differently from a stock type unit. The PCM could potentially see a false Miss fire. This requires changes in the PCM to compensate for that.

You need to use a bi directional scan tool to command lock up to see if it works properly.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure its locking. When going ~50-55 I feel it lock and I can roll into the throttle and it will unlock and flash up to 3200 rpm then after tire speed matches the motor speed(lack of a better term) the rpms start climbing like normal.

Will HP tuners show all the info a scan tool will? I plan on buying it next week for the up coming turbo build.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWnEASY
I'm pretty sure its locking. When going ~50-55 I feel it lock and I can roll into the throttle and it will unlock and flash up to 3200 rpm then after tire speed matches the motor speed(lack of a better term) the rpms start climbing like normal.

Will HP tuners show all the info a scan tool will? I plan on buying it next week for the up coming turbo build.
I believe it will.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Just took it for a test drive, now I only have first and second. Wtf!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

OK, a little up date. Trans is currently in limp mode due to the harness plug
But I did figure out that it only had 2nd and 3rd before limp mode with the help of a rpm calculator.
So from the beginning its only had 2-3-3/lockup. This leads me to believe its a bad connection at the harness, or 1-2 solenoid. Any one think the same?

Quick Reply: 80e swap 3rd tq lock but no od