Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Accel DFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My experience with Accel DFI

Alrighty then. So, I ordered a DFI setup from Joe Overton. First off Joe is a hell of a guy and offers a great deal on the DFI system. It had been sitting here in a box for about a month and a half waiting for the car to be ready for the install.

I chose a stand alone system and to remove the factory PCM. I have to tell you that this is a major undertaking. It means making a custom dash and removing a bunch of stuff. I guess you have to call this a race car mod, if you are going to pull the factory PCM. It requires a huge amount of wiring to get it all worked out. I also chose to COMPLETELY gut the factory wiring harness and start off fresh.

The DFI is nice, but the harness is utter crap. None of the harness connection points are in the right places. They try to make it pretty, but I personally think that it should come as a flying wire kit. That way you can make the harness to length for your application.

On that note, I'll talk about my major snag. Accel Tech support are a great bunch of guys. But this problem held me up for over two weeks. The harness for the ignition was incorrect, the CKP sensor connector was wired up wrong and was not reading the CKP sensor. We, Accel and I finally talked throught it and got it figured out but, Man what a PITA!

As of this writting, the car is up and running, but I still have to re-route the harness due to the troubleshooting efforts.

More to come with tuning!

Ryan K.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan K- thanks for the post. Is this a speed density/ mafless setup??

"I personally think that it should come as a flying wire kit. " - I'm not sure what you mean?? Long length wires with connectors?

Keep us posted on your progress - please

joel
Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they should sell the harness as a kit. Basically you get the leads connected to the ECM and you make up the connectors for the sensors your self.

Ryan K.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks.
joel
Old 05-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryan
I think they should sell the harness as a kit. Basically you get the leads connected to the ECM and you make up the connectors for the sensors your self.
A flying lead harness kit is being produced, and will be available very soon.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Ryan! Sounds more complicated than I care for...maybe HP Tuner is the way for me.