General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Trans Am: Security Light on, won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Trans Am: Security Light on, won't start.

I've got a 1998 Trans Am with 180,000 miles on it. Recently, the ignition switch failed (Stuck in on position). The factory replacement I picked up from the dealer broke before it was installed. So, the ignition was replaced with an S10 switch and a resistor in series.

I put about 2000 miles on it in that configuration, with no troubles. two weeks back, the car failed to start, and the security light stays on any time the car is attempted to be started. I got a buddy with HP Tuners to disable VATS, but there is still no start. It sounds like the fuel pump is priming, but I haven't verified with a pressure gage. So this morning I pulled off the 'Clutch Safety' switch, and jumpered the leads. Still no start, and security light stays on.

I have no clue where to procede from here. Help?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah do the vats bypass or return your ignition you got from the dealer with a new one.

The resistor mod is the easiest way. Deleting the code with HP tuners just turns the light off on the dash, the body control module looks for the right resistance to send power to the relay if it doesn't sense it it does not send power to the starter

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am: Security Light on, won't start.