Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo GSXR750 Build Vid, & 1st race

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSXR750 Build Vid, & 1st race

Build video for my turbo GSXR.

Tune isn't finished yet because spark blowout ended my dyno session early.

Hopefully i'll get the tune dialed in, at least on low boost, in the next week or two. I want to get some seat time before i turn it up.

Only race i've had with it so far was a local turbo cobra that traps 142 on pump gas. We did a 50 roll, he jumped out brake boosting and i came by and put a few cars on him by 130ish.

We're going to do a rematch with him on race gas (9.8 @ 148 with a gentle launch). I don't plan on touching the boost, just smoothing the A/F curve and ramping in some timing...based on what i've seen that's going to make a solid difference. I'll make sure the GoPro is handy for that.

So far i'm thrilled with it. All the fab is my home-brew, along with the tuning, and it's coming together well!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Teching In

very cool but disappointed. was hoping for vid of the bike movin out!!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

badass dude.

Congrats on a very sweet build. Looking forward to some vid's.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Awesome!!!
Boost is very addicting,you'll be wanting to crank it up real soon
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

What was the reasoning for sticking with the 750 instead of moving to a liter bike and either spraying or adding FI to that?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Awesome build man, can't wait to see it in action!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by audacious nick
What was the reasoning for sticking with the 750 instead of moving to a liter bike and either spraying or adding FI to that?
No replacement for displacement....and then there was boost.

So... no harm in going to a smaller cube'd motor.... especially if you have a higher rpm range. I'd want useable power on bike...not to mention the cost of a liter bike...especially if you already have a 750 in the garage.

IMO.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned dozens of bikes, mostly sport bikes, everything from a 250 Ninja to a ZX14. And if I was gonna turbo anything it would be either a GSXR750 or a Yamaha VMAX. Why join the crowds of turbo liter and hyper bikes?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I've owned dozens of bikes, mostly sport bikes, everything from a 250 Ninja to a ZX14. And if I was gonna turbo anything it would be either a GSXR750 or a Yamaha VMAX. Why join the crowds of turbo liter and hyper bikes?
Because they are already have tried and true kits on the market. However, beans I've been looking forward to seeing this build for a long time now. Congrats on getting it just about finished.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a bad *** build. A buddy of mine had a turbo ZX9 back in the mid 90's. It was stupid fast for that time.

Edit: The SWAT sniper buddy pointing a gun at you is not cool. Doesn't matter if it was unloaded.

Last edited by Blown383LS1; 06-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1TFROT
very cool but disappointed. was hoping for vid of the bike movin out!!
Its looking like there will be some pulls this weekend!
Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
badass dude.

Congrats on a very sweet build. Looking forward to some vid's.
Thank you sir, coming soon!

Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Awesome!!!
Boost is very addicting,you'll be wanting to crank it up real soon
I'm sure, that's always my problem with boosted vehicles!

Traction is becoming a limiting factor with the 7" stretch and Shinko Hook-Up...but then again my rear shock is still set for the track, not the drag strip.

Originally Posted by audacious nick
The turbo can support 380+whp and spools fully by 8k, so the only real disadvantage of the 750 motor is less strength than the liter.

The smaller size keeps the torque more usable on spoolup, and with an extra 2,000 rpm its effectively 13% smaller than the 1000.

But, the biggest reason is the 750 was in the garage. All the parts bolt up to both motors, so if I break this one I can just swap a 1000 motor in with very little work.

Originally Posted by Cammed03Whipple
Awesome build man, can't wait to see it in action!
A few more weeks to get everything sorted and I'll bring it out your way.

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
No replacement for displacement....and then there was boost.

So... no harm in going to a smaller cube'd motor.... especially if you have a higher rpm range. I'd want useable power on bike...not to mention the cost of a liter bike...especially if you already have a 750 in the garage.

IMO.
Pretty much!

Of the 750cc builds I've been able to find, I've only seen 2 that actually make power and run hard. That's also a motivating factor.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I'm definitely doing something a little different with this project. Hopefully I can beat up on some of the cookie cutter 1000s
Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beans
Its looking like there will be some pulls this weekend!

Thank you sir, coming soon!

Pretty much!

Of the 750cc builds I've been able to find, I've only seen 2 that actually make power and run hard. That's also a motivating factor.

I'm definitely doing something a little different with this project. Hopefully I can beat up on some of the cookie cutter 1000s

Big fan of the "underdog".

Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Beans, this is ******* awesome! I'll be showing a ton of people your bike when you get some videos of it. Cant wait!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job on building the kit Beans! I build turbo bikes myself...(busas). I haven't done E85 on one yet... Good on you for building something different. FYI from my experience with busas, keep the timing stock, and crank up the boost for power... It seems everyone who is ECU flashing and putting MORE timing then stock in there instead of cranking boost up to make power, ends up yacking head gaskets.

Just sneak up on the tune up, but remember on bikes, the Dyno and street are totally different and what lives on the dyno will melt **** on the street... Also don't get the AFR TOO rich like all the FI car guys do.. You want to target 11.5 AFR on the gas scale when using 93 oct, not sure what that would correlate to on E85 but....stock coils will not light off a 10.5 AFR mix and cause missing/breaking up...sometimes mistaken as spark blow out.

Usually on a Busa, a stock 16G is DONE by 340hp...that's like 24-25 psi and way out of its efficiency range... Most of the time they are finished my 320hp at 20-22 psi... I wouldn't push one further then that... And that's on 1300cc but with lowered compression.

Last edited by ajrothm; 06-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Nice job on building the kit Beans! I build turbo bikes myself...(busas). I haven't done E85 on one yet... Good on you for building something different. FYI from my experience with busas, keep the timing stock, and crank up the boost for power... It seems everyone who is ECU flashing and putting MORE timing then stock in there instead of cranking boost up to make power, ends up yacking head gaskets.

Just sneak up on the tune up, but remember on bikes, the Dyno and street are totally different and what lives on the dyno will melt **** on the street... Also don't get the AFR TOO rich like all the FI car guys do.. You want to target 11.5 AFR on the gas scale when using 93 oct, not sure what that would correlate to on E85 but....stock coils will not light off a 10.5 AFR mix and cause missing/breaking up...sometimes mistaken as spark blow out.

Usually on a Busa, a stock 16G is DONE by 340hp...that's like 24-25 psi and way out of its efficiency range... Most of the time they are finished my 320hp at 20-22 psi... I wouldn't push one further then that... And that's on 1300cc but with lowered compression.
Thanks man.

I was having a slight ignition issue, and it seems to be getting worse. I leaned it out all the way to 12.5 (gas index) and it still breaks up at 12k. I'm looking into coils or the NLR SIM, because my plugs gaps are down close to .020 and its still not running clean on 6psi of boost.

Most turbo cars on E85 run about 12.0 A/F (gas index), I'm staying in the 11.5 range for added cooling.

Currently I'm running 4 degrees below stock timing, I don't plan on going above stock regardless of how it behaves. Being non-intercooled, I'm afraid of throwing too much timing at it, E85 or not.

Compression is stock 12.3:1, so it should make good power without a ton of boost. I have to be reasonable with it, because even though the compressor is very efficient on this motor, IATs will be climbing fast.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd take the plugs to .018" first. Next check would be valve springs... I'm not real sure about the spring pressure on stock 750cc springs, they "should" be plenty but.... We have seen misses develop on busas with good amounts of boost.... You may not have any boost in it yet, but you have a decent amount of rpms (12k)...

I have yet to ever see a stock Suzuki coil go out.. Make sure you are maintaining good voltage during the pulls... If the voltage of the system drops below 13.0v, it could cause weak spark.... You likely have 14.4v at idle and as rpms climb, voltage will drop...

My personal Busa will drop to 13.0-13.2v at wot and that's with an upgrades stator, 50 amp reg/rec and two batteries wired in sequence. (12v). Especially if an engine fan is on during the pulls. Just something else to look for..

You're on the right track sneaking up on the tune up.. I can't help you much of the tuning values since you're on e85 and I've never tuned it.. But your logic sounds right to me.

You should be able to make 180-190 hp pretty easy I'd say if it stays together.. Rods are probably only good to 200hp ish..
Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, try putting the timing back at stock. I'm not sure if you're using ECU Editor to flash the ECU or using a timing retard box but... The timing retard boxes are NOTORIOUS for causing misfires... Anything wired in between the crank sensor and the ECU will cause you grief.. I have found that fooling with the older ECUs with flashing can cause some issues that you will never resolve.. Particularly on the 02-07 ECUs...

Keep me posted, I'll try to help you figure out the issue.. I'd like to see you get it running right... Especially before throwing a bunch of money in parts at it.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

I'd take the plugs to .018" first. Next check would be valve springs... I'm not real sure about the spring pressure on stock 750cc springs, they "should" be plenty but.... We have seen misses develop on busas with good amounts of boost.... You may not have any boost in it yet, but you have a decent amount of rpms (12k)...

I have yet to ever see a stock Suzuki coil go out.. Make sure you are maintaining good voltage during the pulls... If the voltage of the system drops below 13.0v, it could cause weak spark.... You likely have 14.4v at idle and as rpms climb, voltage will drop...

My personal Busa will drop to 13.0-13.2v at wot and that's with an upgrades stator, 50 amp reg/rec and two batteries wired in sequence. (12v). Especially if an engine fan is on during the pulls. Just something else to look for..

You're on the right track sneaking up on the tune up.. I can't help you much of the tuning values since you're on e85 and I've never tuned it.. But your logic sounds right to me.

You should be able to make 180-190 hp pretty easy I'd say if it stays together.. Rods are probably only good to 200hp ish..
Also, try putting the timing back at stock. I'm not sure if you're using ECU Editor to flash the ECU or using a timing retard box but... The timing retard boxes are NOTORIOUS for causing misfires... Anything wired in between the crank sensor and the ECU will cause you grief.. I have found that fooling with the older ECUs with flashing can cause some issues that you will never resolve.. Particularly on the 02-07 ECUs...

Keep me posted, I'll try to help you figure out the issue.. I'd like to see you get it running right... Especially before throwing a bunch of money in parts at it.

Thanks for the tips. It has a high output stator but I haven't checked system voltage during a pull.

It also has the dynojet ignition module...so you might be on the right track.

As for the power, its in the 17x whp range with -4 timing, so it should make at least 190 on 5psi.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely disconnect the ignition module and try it. You "could" pull the plenum off and make a pull NA with the module hooked up.. That will tell you if its boost affecting the valve springs or the ignition module...

I'm laying odds it's something with the ignition module... Disconnect it all together, don't just "Zero" it out.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Definitely disconnect the ignition module and try it. You "could" pull the plenum off and make a pull NA with the module hooked up.. That will tell you if its boost affecting the valve springs or the ignition module...

I'm laying odds it's something with the ignition module... Disconnect it all together, don't just "Zero" it out.

Im tuned through a PCV&Ignition Module on my stage 1 1000,Ive had zero issues the last 2.5yrs(6000miles) and I run it hard everytime Im on it.

Maybe Im just lucky? Ive honestly never heard of this issue on a GSXR.

Quick Reply: Turbo GSXR750 Build Vid, & 1st race