Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help needed with MBC setup and rear mount STS Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help needed with MBC setup and rear mount STS Setup

I am seeking diagramatic help with this one guys. I am running a 4th gen Fbody with a rear mount STS setup and am running a manual boost controller (a new one is on order). We are having troubles making more than the 10# boost from the wastegate spring in my Ultragate 38mm setup.

At this point, the only way i've made more than 10# boost is by wiring the boost tubing from the compressor side of the turbo DIRECTLY to the top of my wastegate FORCING it to remain closed:

I have tried using my original STS manual boost controller (MBC) as well as a friend's Forge Motorsport UNOS MBC with 10 different setups and have been unsuccessful in making more than spring pressure/boost. And on a few occasions, i've been unfortunate enough to make as little as 3-4# of boost with the boost controller fighting my setup.

Can someone please enlighten me as to how this setup should run with an MBC that has: (i) an inlet and (ii) an outlet

Any advice would be welcome.

Here is my current setup:

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Any help would be appreciated guys...especially those with a rear mount setup.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What spring do you have in the gate?

what is the piping like back to the turbo?

are you SURE there are no leaks in either the cold or hotside?

I can tell you from experience, that when i had alot of trouble building boost with the rearmount, it was becuase i had exhaust leaks pre turbo...

as far as the mbc, yes, you put it between the compressor housing and the top of gate....
Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

what spring is installed in the gate?

if its a very low spring pressure its not going to work great when you try and add in boost
Old 06-20-2014, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Jax and Denmah:

I've pressure tested my system to 20# of compressed air and there are no leaks. I replaced all the STS clamps which were junk with T-bolt clamps.

I am running a brand new 10# spring in my Ultragate Wastegate.

My engine feeds into a set of stock 2002 Fbody exhaust manifolds, then into a Mac Off-Road Y-Pipe 2.5" which meets up with a 3" single exhaust that hits the rear mount turbo.

From the turbo, the piping is all STS..2.25", to 2.5" to 3" at the IC and finally to 4" at the throttle body.

I hope this helps.

I've made 620-640hp at the wheels and between 680-720lb/ft tq at the wheels on the 10# spring...but this motor needs more boost...badly.

Quick Reply: Help needed with MBC setup and rear mount STS Setup