Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission coolers. By pass the stock or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission coolers. By pass the stock or no?

I was wondering if I should by pass my stock transmission cooler and just run my aftermarket one? I have looked around and read a lot. Couple of things. My trans runs around 200ish on the freeway on a hot day 80+ and around 190 on a cooler day 60's .

Couple of questions. What is the ideal temperature to operate a transmission? I have seen some posts say 100, some say 150, some the cooler the better but I can't find any hard facts.

Also is it dangerous to run it too cold if I were to by pass the stock radiator? I know the stock radiator runs by the cooling system radiator to warm it up when it starts. If I let my car warm up to operating temp idling the trans fluid is about 155*.

My trans is a 4t65e

Thanks all in advance.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subd...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Stand alone will b better. Make sure u flush it b4 install, tape all ends up too.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, bypass that ridiculous factory cooler. Remove the cooler completely like I did and plug the holes in the plastic tank or just cap the ports off. I had to take my radiator out anyway so I had it removed and plugs installed.

The factory cooler is really.....a tranny fluid heater. Its total garbage.

Cooler the better. Tranny fluid at 155*F is pretty darn good though, I wonder if that is accurate. Usually they run 200 IIRC.

Install an aftermarket cooler in front of the condenser...BUT DO NOT lean it up against the condenser. Leave at least 2 inches of space between them.

Heres mine.....I think this is the best place and best way to mount it....allows for the ram air to mix better witrh the hot air coming off the cooler....so a big hot spot doesn't get started on the surface of the condenser......but the cooler still get a ton of ram air cooling blasting through it while Im moving.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...o-dsc01785.jpg

Last edited by LS6427; 06-19-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a car driven mostly in warmer weather I would lose it. Something driven in the winter it helps heat the fluid up to enable converter lockup quicker in the cold weather.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I always bypass it. Im in New England so it gets cold up here. On cold days I wanna go for a ride I just make sure the trans temp is 40f+ and take it easy until temps rise.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy5061
In a car driven mostly in warmer weather I would lose it. Something driven in the winter it helps heat the fluid up to enable converter lockup quicker in the cold weather.
While there is no consensus, this is probably the "average" opinion.

When I read very different opinions from the many experienced members here, I conclude that it is a non-issue; in other words that it works fine in different configurations.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mrvedit
While there is no consensus, this is probably the "average" opinion.

When I read very different opinions from the many experienced members here, I conclude that it is a non-issue; in other words that it works fine in different configurations.
X2. Also many OEM PCM/TCMs keep the converter unlocked to 75 or so degree trans temperature, so it will build heat faster up to that point.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

150*-180* is about the optimal range, some coolers (B&M has at least one i've seen people talk about on here) has a bypass the fluid flows through till it becomes viscous enough to flow the other way, this brings the fluid up to temp quicker and negates the need to run it through the stock cooler to warm it up in cold climates, but anything over 180* just degrades the lifespan of the fluid so you want to stay under that, where if it's to cold the fluid won't flow good and will have trouble going into gear.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

That cooler looks cheap n not all that. I'd go with a b&m or a proven cooler. Just my 2 cent!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Teching In

I agree with Daniel on the optimal temp range. I read an article I believe in Popular Hotrodding a good many years back that talked about this very thing. It stated basicaly in a perfect world that at 180 deg trans oil temp the oil could last roughly 100k(not that I would ever do this), but the interesting part of the article said that for every 20 deg above the optimal 180 deg the life of the fluid was reduced by half.

My 2 cents on using stock and or aftermarket coolers....I used both back in the day with notible gains putting the aftermarket cooler on the return line back to the trans.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yes, bypass that ridiculous factory cooler. Remove the cooler completely like I did and plug the holes in the plastic tank or just cap the ports off. I had to take my radiator out anyway so I had it removed and plugs installed.

The factory cooler is really.....a tranny fluid heater. Its total garbage.

Cooler the better. Tranny fluid at 155*F is pretty darn good though, I wonder if that is accurate. Usually they run 200 IIRC.

Install an aftermarket cooler in front of the condenser...BUT DO NOT lean it up against the condenser. Leave at least 2 inches of space between them.

Heres mine.....I think this is the best place and best way to mount it....allows for the ram air to mix better witrh the hot air coming off the cooler....so a big hot spot doesn't get started on the surface of the condenser......but the cooler still get a ton of ram air cooling blasting through it while Im moving.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...o-dsc01785.jpg

How do you have the lines ran from the condenser ?

Quick Reply: Transmission coolers. By pass the stock or no?