Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Billet Air cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Billet Air cleaners

Does anyone else think this looks bad ***? I think it's way better than the lid setup. What sort of differences in flow characteristics would be involved here? I would think it would have a much smaller SA, but maybe a more direct path.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks kinda goofy to me, if it were right infront of the MAF
Old 05-20-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

i don't see how that thing would work period. The point of the airlid is to concentrate air and "suck" it in from the bottom where cool air is creating a vacuum. This thing looks like it would suck in air from the hot engine bay and there is no real concentration. Just my .02
Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Mostly for hot rod applications.. seen that air cleaner in ALOT 55-57 chevy's with LS1 appliations..
Old 05-20-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

i guess i should chime in. my 91 L98 came with a k&n conical kinda like that. it direct attaches to the throttle body and on mine i didnt need a MAF because its speed density. those for the LS1 have the MAF built into it from what ive read. you wont gain ANYTHING but a hotter running engine. mine owuld run about 220 or more at idle in traffic. now i have an SLP CAI and it has a noticeably stonger pull and idles cooler also. DO NOT BUY THAT.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah it's supposed to fit right up on the TB with MAF kind of integrated ito the cleaner. Dammit, that thing looks way better than a lid setup.
The point of the airlid is to concentrate air and "suck" it in from the bottom where cool air is creating a vacuum.
I don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

I can see how it would take in the hotter air from the engine bay, and I'm sure the smaller SA can't be good. I've NEVER had a problem running hot so I don't think that would bother my motor in that respect. Seems like an expensive setup for me to just use for shows.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

What the hell do you mean you don't understand what i'm saying? Its simple, the ram air setup takes in air from the plastic peice on the underside of the car, cool air, and it travels up and into the underside of the filter. All that cool air is concentrated into the lid and through the MAF and TB. This thing would just suck in any friggen air anywhere, and that is mostly HOT AIR. Think about....
Old 05-20-2004, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

If you mean the cooler air is denser,then sure. I just don't think of the airbox as concentrating anything, or cooler air as creating a vacuum.

Quick Reply: Billet Air cleaners