Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Liquid propane injection???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid propane injection???

Taking a look at a few options and just wondering if anyone has ever ran the idea of liquid propane injection system on an Ls motor with boost, only reason I ask is because I had an interview today with a company that makes conversion kits for the newer 6.0's looks like it would be a decent system propane has octane rating of 105 or so and is super clean burning.. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by I-H8-RICE; 06-20-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I take it you want liquid Propane injectors ? Clean oil is always a added +
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Just tossing the idea around not sure how it would perform or if it would even be worth the time and effort over just running e85
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately a interesting idea, diesels be running pretty great with that type of injection very curious to see what it can do on a normal pump gas LSX engine.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

I dont remember if they ever boosted this project or not but they did alot of R&D on propane injection.

http://www.mothers.com/04_community_...des_mo_01.html

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/propane-po...lock-chevelle/
Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Turbo buick guys used it a bit in the early 90's with moderate success. Used it as more of an alky injection alternative. Quite a few topics on it on the turbobuick forums.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tonypaul
I dont remember if they ever boosted this project or not but they did alot of R&D on propane injection.

http://www.mothers.com/04_community_...des_mo_01.html

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/propane-po...lock-chevelle/
Interesting, thanks for the post, looks like it would need a ton of injector to make possible 16 injectors for 900+ hp
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Gaseous propane injection would require very large injectors.

Liquid propane injection would not. The problem is most current systems take the gas in the tank in liquid form, reduce pressure and it turns to gas form in the regulator/condensor or whatever you want to call it, and then they supply it to be injected into the engine.

There are modern liquid injection systems out there, just not sure how commonplace they are yet. But if they can maintain high enough pressure to maintain liquid right until entry into the inlet manifold...it would be great.

A high octane fuel, a fuel that will impart a huge cooling effect ( just as happens with nitrous when it goes from liquid to gas, although to a lesser extent ) and as others say a cleaner burning fuel.

It's finding the right kit to make it happen. Are they out there ?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Gaseous propane injection would require very large injectors.

Liquid propane injection would not. The problem is most current systems take the gas in the tank in liquid form, reduce pressure and it turns to gas form in the regulator/condensor or whatever you want to call it, and then they supply it to be injected into the engine.

There are modern liquid injection systems out there, just not sure how commonplace they are yet. But if they can maintain high enough pressure to maintain liquid right until entry into the inlet manifold...it would be great.

A high octane fuel, a fuel that will impart a huge cooling effect ( just as happens with nitrous when it goes from liquid to gas, although to a lesser extent ) and as others say a cleaner burning fuel.

It's finding the right kit to make it happen. Are they out there ?
The place I interviewed at claimed that they used 100 psi or so and it's supposed to stay in liquid form. If I get the job I'm deffinetly going to look into it could be a cool system, either way is like to get my hands on a set of injectors that are happy at 100+ psi lol

Quick Reply: Liquid propane injection???