General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect

Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect

For quite a while I was wondering why my PCV catch jar wasn't filling with oil, but never thought enough of it to dig in. Dumbass move #1...

Likely for about that same amount of time, I've had an oil leak that I said "someday I'll have to fix that". Dumbass move #2...

This week I got everything I needed to replace the OPSU and last night I tore into it. Only to find no oil around the sender at all, but oil all over the firewall and everything else. Closer inspection netted the below pics of the PCV crossover tube. I must have opened a hole in it when I replaced the knock sensors and the oil slowly ate it's way through (which I didn't think it should be able to do, but the evidence is pretty clear that something deteriorated the Y joint until it completely separated).

The computer must have been compensating for all the extra air being sucked in without resistance because it never threw any codes. This also explains why the TB was still collecting a considerable amount of oil from the right crankcase vent.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect-img16680-20140621-0620.jpg   Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect-img16681-20140621-0621.jpg   Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect-img16683-20140621-0644.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The leak behind the pcv valve would not cause the car to stumble because the pcv valve is still metering the suction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leak Culprit - not the usual suspect