Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Abuse Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 Abuse Question ?

ok i know manually shifting an auto is not good for the clutches... my question is if your running from a roll and you force a down shift but then immedately drop it back into over drive and let the computer bang thru the rest of the gears is this determential for the tranny ? i ask this beacouse as of now form a roll i gotta run like a 50 roll or a 20 roll to have a decent race against a manual if i run a 30 roll i get stuck in a higer gear and stay too low in my rpms to be have a chance so i started just putting my car in 1st when lineing up for a roll and letting the engine pull like 3-4k for a min while the race begins then once i go wot i immedately slam it back into over drive by this method im not forcing any shifts on the tranny besides the part throddle downshift before the race so i dont see how this could be a real bad thing for my tranny but then again im no expert i know it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE when racing from a roll but thats about it.

for those that are confused to what im doing ill reexplain it here to clarify:
as were lineing up to race i manually shift the car into first and let the engine tack up... immedately after i smash the petal i drop the shifter back into D which ovbiously dosent shift the car it just gives back controll of the tranny to the computer by this bethod i see no wot manual shifing but i do get semi- proper gear selection form a roll... just make sure you done get excited and slam te car into netural (yes i did it one or twice)
Old 05-19-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone have comments???...anyone else do this 18,000 memembers i cant be the first?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't do it, I guess i'd rather lose the race than kill my tranny.....
Old 05-19-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I Thinkin It Dont Hurt Your Tranny Beacouse Your Not Maunally Shifiting At Wot At All So The Whole Clutch Slippage Thing Due To Low Line Pressure Is Avoided?...
Old 05-19-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"anyone have comments???...anyone else do this 18,000 memembers i cant be the first?"

What's with people expecting answers in the first 30 minutes today??? This is an internet BOARD, not a toll free tech line. Sometimes it takes days or even weeks to get the answer you're looking for. If you don't get a good answer in the first couple of days then just make a post to bring it back to the top.

What you're saying is fine, IMO. I've done it plenty of times. You're still allowing the 'puter to pick and anticipate (which is the important point) the shiftpoint.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

toll free tech line.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry .. I Get A Bit Anxious For Answers In Some Cases Thaks For The Help Colonel
Old 05-20-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Man For Those Who Done Do This Try It Out It Makes A Huge Differece Form A Roll When You Get Stuck In A Dead Spot Hell Some Races Ive Lost Aginst Slower Cars Just Beaocuse I Didnt Do This Id Say From A Roll It Makes A Substaintial Difference In Most Cases Ive Tried Like 3-5 Car Leginths Depending On How Bad Off You Were Before (or How Deep Into Dead Spot) With Ym Gearing I Can Drop To 2nd For A 60 Roll And 1st For A 40 Roll And Start Out About 4k Rpms Which Is Neck Snapping It Also Helps To Blip The Throddle Just A Bit While Switching Gears Ive Found Just To Help Lessen The Effect Of The Gear Change Pushing Your Engine Up In Rpms (probaly A Bit Easier On Thranny This Way) Or Hell If Its Race Your Just About To Do Not One Your Lineing Up For Ust Drop The Selctor And Floor It It Seems To Be Timed About Right If Your At Higher Speeds At Lower Speeds Like 20-30 Ish Give It A Min Or Youll Rev Past There The Engine Would Settle If You Just Droped The Ear And Youll Be Essentally Netural Droping Your Car Which Feels Badass But Im Sure Will Gernade Your Tranny
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, Too Hard To Read Got Lost About The Third Line Could Not Keep ConCenTraTion!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
Sorry, Too Hard To Read Got Lost About The Third Line Could Not Keep ConCenTraTion!!!
Yeah, same here!

I see you already have a tranny cooler, even w/o a converter, that should help your transmission life a bit and I wish I had one all along for wheN i did my brakestand burnouts....i used to manually downshift mine into second gear while going 25-35 and idling to listen to it slow down.....I don't do that anymore.....I would not do what you are talking about, although it probalby isn't too bad.
Not to hijack thread too badly, but did I do harm when I used to put it down into 2 while off the gas going 25-35??
Old 05-21-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Programming the part-throttle shiftpoints, proper, would
make you lose all interest in hand-banging it... it's only
lame factory settings that make it downshift 2-1 at WOT
only.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok Great So When I Go Get My Tc Installed Latter This Yr And A Cust Tune Ill Deninately Get That Done Too
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

That Does Make Sense Beacosue My Buddy Has A Couple 4l60s That Are Vacc Controlled And He Says It Dont Happen With His
Old 05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a shitty idea to me but after the 3rd time I read it, I stopped trying make sense of it and slammed down 2 advil :no:
Old 05-23-2004, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Personally, I used to manually shift my A4 at the track all the time. I made better track times if I shifted the car instead of letting the car do it. However on the highway or wherever I did let the PCM control it. What destroyed my stock transmission was high line rise that got tuned into my car to make it shift harder. I know several transmission builders that suggest to manually shift the autos at the track to preserve transmission life...if you know when to shift it.
Now I have a rebuilt custom Rock-On Transmission...equivalent to an SLP stage 3 and I'm tuning it to let the computer control it for now until I go to vacuum modulated. It's damn nice...

If you're having a problem with the downshifts, I'd check out your tuning first. Changing shift parameters is a lot cheaper than forking over the cash for a new transmission. Check your fluids and your transmission oil temp as well. Too hot oil will cause problems. And, if you check your tranny oil and it's brown...that's bad. Then you WILL need some tranny work done. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

smokar de crack?

The computer controlls the shifting no matter what you do. that lever does not shift the gears like in an hold school TH350 or TH400. Hence the "E" in 4L60E.

I put my truck in 1st at the sand dunes at it just shifted into 2nd when it felt it needed to in order to preserve trans life.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default Thats not all true

Because of the tfp (this tells your pcm where the manual valve is) switch you can achieve higher shift extensions, by manual shifting.....if and only if you slect od, or 3rd will your trans shift automaticly. Another point to be made is when in manual low; your low /reverse clutch is on and therefore helping assist the low roller clutch, it'll help the life of your low roller clutch. Hope this helps....Dave
Old 05-23-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok Lets Try This Again,
Old 05-23-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

get to a 60 roll , floor it and watch your rpms climb slowly due to no down shifting... then go back to a 60 roll manually select 2nd gear and floor it very shortly after (almost insantly) after you floor it (and before you redline) shift back to overdrive and let the computer do the shifting for you.. youll notice your car jumps to about 4k rpms and hulls *** like it should ... MY QUESTION IS SHINCE THERE IS NO TIME IN THIS PROCEDURE THAT YOUR MANUALLY SHIFTING AT WOT(which many have deemed bad for stock 4l60es) WILL THIS BE DETREMENTIAL TO THE TRANNY?

for 2.73 geared cars ya might have to do a 70 roll i have 3.42 gears so 60 and 30 are my big deadspots