Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

veriable speed blower drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default veriable speed blower drive

so why have none of you smart guys come up with a veriable speed blower drive say like the polaris drive atv but in opposite were at low engine speed it speeds up the blower and higher engine speeds turns the blower faster or to desired boost.. no lag or instant boost..
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Procharger I-1.... variable ratio...makes it so you can spin it harder at low RPM to keep consistent boost for the entire RPM Range

or you can do a wastegate setup in an Automatic car and spin it however you want and use a boost controller....
Doesnt work on a stick car unless you know how to powershift and never let out of the throttle

and Boost controllers have been doing this for many many years...
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Procharger I-1.... variable ratio...makes it so you can spin it harder at low RPM to keep consistent boost for the entire RPM Range

or you can do a wastegate setup in an Automatic car and spin it however you want and use a boost controller....
Doesnt work on a stick car unless you know how to powershift and never let out of the throttle

and Boost controllers have been doing this for many many years...
Why wouldn't it work on a stick car? superchargers make boost by RPM. the idea behind the wastegate is that you spin the charger at max RPMs and regulate boost with the wastegate so even if RPMs drop on the shift it will be at max boost for that RPM or what ever boost you set it at.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F110Mech
Why wouldn't it work on a stick car? superchargers make boost by RPM. the idea behind the wastegate is that you spin the charger at max RPMs and regulate boost with the wastegate so even if RPMs drop on the shift it will be at max boost for that RPM or what ever boost you set it at.
we've done several vehicles with superchargers and wastegates...
all the stick cars with an added wastegate for boost control loose more boost with a shift than if it just has a blow off valve only

I'm not really 100% sure why it works that way...
I'm assuming it has something to do with the pressure wave that you get and the wastegate is basically interrupting it making it take longer to recover after a shift
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by soundengineer
we've done several vehicles with superchargers and wastegates...
all the stick cars with an added wastegate for boost control loose more boost with a shift than if it just has a blow off valve only

I'm not really 100% sure why it works that way...
I'm assuming it has something to do with the pressure wave that you get and the wastegate is basically interrupting it making it take longer to recover after a shift
Nice to hear from some real world experience. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dezlfrek
so why have none of you smart guys come up with a veriable speed blower drive say like the polaris drive atv but in opposite were at low engine speed it speeds up the blower and higher engine speeds turns the blower faster or to desired boost.. no lag or instant boost..
I presume the atv runs at much lower power outputs ? Maybe a smaller rpm range ?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be a lot of engineering work to get something that you can do by other means.

Fit a larger blower but pulley for max blower rpm at max rpm.
Fit either a suitably sized restrict or plate or a waste gate configuration.
Make sure you have the right conveyor, or for a stick car make sure you keep the rpm in the boost band.

Do the above and you can have all the power you could ever want. Oh and it's what the racers do!

Quick Reply: veriable speed blower drive