Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Replace quarter panel or repair with Bondo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace quarter panel or repair with Bondo?

Got hit by a moron who didn't yield a while back, and the body shop I brought the insurance check to did some pretty shoddy work. They Bondo'd the door shell (charged me as if they replaced it) and the quarter panel, and they don't match up right. I'd go back and make em fix it, except they went out of business (big surprise).

So my question is this: If I buy a new door shell and have it installed by a shop that doesn't suck, would I be okay having them just Bondo the quarter panel to match the shape? Or should I get both replaced?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on how badly they botched the quarter panel job they may be able to take off the excess body filler and straighten it out enough to not need much body filler.

Replacing the quarter isn't an easy or cheap proposition. Structural to the car, tons of welds, etc.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Okay that's what I figured, but it's always nice to have a second opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the body shop dealing directly with the insurance company at all? If they did the insurance company might have your back and help out. I had to fix a car that was fixed by another shop further down south and was "fixed" very poorly. Insurance company paid us and went after the shop that did the original repair. Think that shop also ended closing shop too. Might be at least worth looking in to.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I tried that. The insurance co. said they could've helped if the shop was still open, but since it had already closed there was nothing they could do =/
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ i agree. get with the insurance company. if the shop is backed my the insurance company then there is a warranty, most likely lifetime. Since it was not fixed correctly they should redo it whether it is the same shop or another reputable one. This should not cost you anything.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Unfortunately I didn't take it to the shop the insurance co. recommended. Learned a hard lesson there.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You get screwed harder most times by ins recommended shops. In and out absolute cheapest way possible is how most of those places work there are a few good ins rec shops but you really gotta dig.

Replace the door. !/4 hard to tell without seeing it in person or really good pics.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You get screwed harder most times by ins recommended shops. In and out absolute cheapest way possible is how most of those places work there are a few good ins rec shops but you really gotta dig.

Replace the door. !/4 hard to tell without seeing it in person or really good pics.
Man not trying to start any ****, but you must have very little to no experience in a drp shop. I have worked in body shops for 20+ years and one thing is for sure, insurance companies want the cars fixed rite! They are also willing to pay to fix cars properly (or total them if it's not cost effective). Granted there are crappy shops out there but the insurance companies give you a list of there "recommended" shops based mainly on CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. So the shops that look out for the customer and go the extra mile for them tend to get rated highest and then become one of the more recommended shops. Plus the insurance companies want to look good by recommending a quality shop and for people to have the best possible experience because there name is on it. That's also why if you use there recommended shops and the shop goes out of business, they will help you get it fixed, because they have to stand behind who the recommend.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Wilson III (07-22-2020)
Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Also no shop will be able to 100% determine if it needs the 1/4 replaced without digging in to it and seeing what they have to work with.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Death trap
Also no shop will be able to 100% determine if it needs the 1/4 replaced without digging in to it and seeing what they have to work with.
All I'm really worried about is whether it'll match up to the door properly. Right now the two aren't flush with each other, and while most people might not notice, it's driving me nuts!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

The door will need to be replaced if badly damaged. These are full composite doors and I have never seen or tried a door skin replacement on one. Salvage doors are easy to come by in great shape(I have 4 if you are near NW AR!) Quarter panel will most likely also be salvage from a donor so unless the substructure or jambs are damaged it would be prudent to (properly) repair. Can you adjust your door striker for now to make it flush?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Also any GOOD body shop will have the door/quarter flush. On the whole DRP thing, it isnt entirely about satisfaction, but from my experience DRP shops are usually excellent shops. We refuse to directly associate ourselves with any insurance company for many reasons.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ARLS1
The door will need to be replaced if badly damaged. These are full composite doors and I have never seen or tried a door skin replacement on one. Salvage doors are easy to come by in great shape(I have 4 if you are near NW AR!) Quarter panel will most likely also be salvage from a donor so unless the substructure or jambs are damaged it would be prudent to (properly) repair. Can you adjust your door striker for now to make it flush?
Well the door worked fine before it got "fixed" so I'm pretty sure it'll just need a new shell. When I first got it back from the shop, the door still shut properly and the window went all the way up, but it was waaaay off as far as being aligned with the fender and quarter panel. When I had them adjust it to line up better, that caused it to only shut if I slam it, plus the window won't go all the way up unless the door is open.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
Unfortunately I didn't take it to the shop the insurance co. recommended. Learned a hard lesson there.
That doesn't matter. Your insurance company by law cannot force you to use any one shop above another, they can only make "recommendations". Sounds like they're trying to screw you over.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That doesn't matter. Your insurance company by law cannot force you to use any one shop above another, they can only make "recommendations". Sounds like they're trying to screw you over.
They did only make a recommendation. However I decided not to go with their recommendation, which means the insurance company doesn't guarantee the work. That part's on me.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Death trap
Man not trying to start any ****, but you must have very little to no experience in a drp shop. I have worked in body shops for 20+ years and one thing is for sure, insurance companies want the cars fixed rite! They are also willing to pay to fix cars properly (or total them if it's not cost effective). Granted there are crappy shops out there but the insurance companies give you a list of there "recommended" shops based mainly on CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. So the shops that look out for the customer and go the extra mile for them tend to get rated highest and then become one of the more recommended shops. Plus the insurance companies want to look good by recommending a quality shop and for people to have the best possible experience because there name is on it. That's also why if you use there recommended shops and the shop goes out of business, they will help you get it fixed, because they have to stand behind who the recommend.
Not true at all. Most of the 6 shops my insurance recommended got less than 3 stars. The best one was like 3.5 stars. Some 5 of the 6 were local dealerships. So I took mine to the only 5 star shop in town and they did a fantastic job (although they took freaking forever...). I'd rather gamble on a good shop than have to keep taking my car back over and over due to a crappy initial job.

I know the OP already called his insurance, but I might call them back again and see if I get someone else who is willing to help. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Hey so I want to revive this thread because I have the same issue. a moron on a bicycle smashed into my driver side rear quarter panel while the car was parked on the street out in front of a house and put a dent into it and then flew over the handlebars and destroyed my driver side mirrors.

I went to a shop who used bondo to fill the dent and they did an awful job. I want to replace the quarter panel but the panels are discontinued.

I'm pissed because this kid just basically totaled my car with his bike when it was in perfect condition. 🤬🤬
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

https://www.rickscamaros.com/1993-20...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...MaAnxnEALw_wcB

Here's a couple of options that show to still have them in stock.

Quick Reply: Replace quarter panel or repair with Bondo?