Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head question

I just bought a 2000 camaro SS yesterday from a VW dealer. I was handed a thick folder with a ton of reciepts and invoices from a speed shop "Speed INC."
most of the mods listed in the invoices from Speed INC. I was able to verify but some of the mods are internal and I can't see them for obvious reasons unless I tear it down. Now on one of the invoices it lists ARE stage 1 cylinder heads. Now I know ARE has a mixed bag when it comes to reputation. But what I am trying to find is how to I.D them to see if they are still on the car or were removed. What were these heads were they some stock heads that were port and polished or a custom build? Any info on these will help. I am trying to find out what I have as a starting point.

Also forgot to add when the heads were installed per invoice it also shows SLP long tube headers, BMR sub-frame connectors were installed and those I know are still on the car. It also lists push-rods and comp cams ovate springs being installed.

Thanks for any help, Shuckman00
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are ported stockers.

First of all look on the outside of the head for casting number. Easiest way to tell if they are still ported is to unbolt the headers and swing them out of the way. Then look at the exhaust port and see if it's cast or ported.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Okay the casting number is 853 which I heard are the less desirable but when ported still put up good numbers. I will try to remove a header tomorrow and check to see if they are ported I was hoping for a easier way but I guess not lol.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping for a easier way but I guess not lol.
Well that or taking the intake manifold off. Honestly, both are pretty easy and should take no more than 20 minutes.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM

I pulled the intake off this morning and the heads are indeed ported. I will post a pic later i am in the garage now. But the ports are smooth and can see some marks left by the tool so i will assume it has the stage 1 heads. Not the best but a good start. I may as well pull a valve cover off and check the valve trane while i have it apart.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May want to consider replacing valvsprings, unless you can verify mileage.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Got the valve cover off and inspected valve trane. Compared pictures of stock springs to mine and they were not a match. Grabbed the speed inc invoices and found it had comp cam ovate valve springs installed 15k ago. Looked up pics and install height and they are dead on. It looks like everything that was done to the car is still in place and done by a speed shop with a good rep around here.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head question