Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need help!! Lowering advice for my c5

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! Lowering advice for my c5

Hello tonight I went to lower my 97 corvette. When I got the wheel off I put a jack under the leaf spring to release some pressure and went and put a 10mm socket on the bolt that lowers the front end and it's stripped. Not sure how I think it was tampered with before now I can not get the bolt to turn it just keeps striping the bolt. What do I do? I really want to lower my car. I'm hoping I'm not screwed out of lowering it. If any one has any advice I would be great full thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Teching In

If all else fails, use small adjustable monkey wrench to turn it. Also would suggest a good tune as your best first upgrade. good luck
Old 06-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Buy a small wire brush (99 cent store) and some W-D40. spray the all the bolts really really good and then clean the bolts with the wire brush. at this point the W-d40 should have loosened all the crap between the thread/nut and the bolt. with some pliers start turning to bolt back and forth 1/4 of a turn and keep spraying oil on the bolt. you will notice that it will get real easy to turn. those bolts are actually really loose if you clean them well. Fyi I found a bottle jack works real well to release pressure on the bolt. use jack stands for safety and never put your fingers between the control arm and the leaf spring. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Tonight I got one of the front bolts to move and I adjusted it I sprayed it with wd40 and put vice grips on it and wiggled it a lot and it finally went and I got the front passenger side adjusted. I had the drivers side sprayed with wd40 and when I put the socket on it striped so I used vice grips and I can not get it to budge at all! So I sprayed it again and I plan on spraying it In the morning and try the vice grips again tomarow night. Any advice? Also the front sat before at 27 3/8ths now it's not too much lower at all will it get lower? I haven't even tried lowering the back yet either hope that's not as hard
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

The back is easy but just be generous with the oil. You can go to any harbor store and buy longer bolts. Easy Google search will tell you how long and how wide. Don't worry the car just needs to settle down and it will get lower, much lower Are you using a 6 sided socket? I completely removed my front bolts and put a 1/8 piece of rubber between the control arm and leaf with some grease. It was perfect for my taste.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Teching In

I can't get the front drivers side to turn at all and the head is striped. If I decide to drop the a arm how do I get it out through the bottom? Is there a place to turn it from the bottom?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

No/Yes. there isn't a particular place but if you pull the control arm ball joint/tie rod and shock from one side you can try from the bottom OR removing all the mentioned will re-leave enough pressure to remove the 4 bolts holding the leaf spring in and you will be able to completely remove the spring and get a good grip on the striped bolt. Where are you located? You can take the time to cut the rubber stops at the bottom of the bolts down to only one rubber circle to give you an even lower drop and not rub metal on aluminum.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Teching In

I'm located in Lincoln il

So tomarow night if the bolt don't turn after soaking it with pb blaster for a few days should I tap the bolt out through the bottom? I herd some people do it before but what would I have to do to get it back in if I ever wanted to?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Were you able to get it sorted out?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I-C5
Were you able to get it sorted out?
Well did you fix it or give up?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer