General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signal issues

I have a 99 TA and yesterday I noticed 2 things with my turn signals:

-First was that my front and rear passenger turn signals were much slower than the driver side and sometimes the light would even stay on and not flash at all. I did some research on the forum and guys said to replace the signal flasher. I did this and problem solved, so thats good.

-Second issue I noticed today is that my right front turn signal does not flash at all (passenger rear and driver side signals work without issue). This light also does not come on with the DRL (once again all other DRL on the car work without issue.) When I put the parking lights on the passenger front signal illuminates, but will not flash when the turn signal is activated. The passenger front turn signal also does not come on when the hazards are activated (all other hazard lights on car work without issue).

I climbed underneath the car and disconnected the socket to find that there is a lot of moisture in there. I am aware of the problems with these lights and the bad design. I removed the plastic piece inside the socket, and found a lot of moisture and corrosion again. I also noticed that there was only 2 prongs attached instead of 3. I am assuming with the corrosion, the third prong rusted and broke off. The prong that broke off is for wire "A" on the socket. See pictures for reference.

-So I bought new Sylvania turn signal bulbs. The guy at the parts store said there was 2 p/n listed for the bulbs which are: 3457A and 4157NA
Why are there 2 part numbers for only one bulb? I changed the bulb and there was no change in signal operation, so the old bulb is OK.

So I guess my next question is that I need to get a new socket? What aftermarket options are there for a direct replacement? I don't want to have to splice wires etc etc. I know you guys get a lot of stuff from Autozone or Advanced Auto, but here in Canada we don't have those stores. What brand of socket do I need and what is the p/n? I'll just take this info to the parts stores we have and hopefully I can find it.

Thanks ahead of time and I apologize for the long winded message.
Attached Thumbnails Turn signal issues-img-20140628-00100.jpg   Turn signal issues-img-20140628-00101.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

I replaced my passenger turn signal/DRL unit with a new pigtail last year without having to splice anything, here is the thread on this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11115320-post8.html

Since one of your prongs broke off you need to buy a new pigtail socket (best bet for you is to buy one online if you can't find it at your local parts store, try rockauto.com, that's where I got mine from (you'll probably need to buy a new housing unit too since yours is most likely cracked and letting water in, I got that from rockauto.com too). Here's my thread I started on this, lots of info on here from other guys who've had to the same issue:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...stion-ws6.html

This is a common issue with our cars, its a pretty easy fix..good luck!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
The guy at the parts store said there was 2 p/n listed for the bulbs which are: 3457A and 4157NA
Why are there 2 part numbers for only one bulb?
I think one filament on one of the bulbs is slightly brighter than the other bulb. (There are two separate filaments in the bulb - each can blow independently.) If both meet the DOT performance spec, then both can be installed on the car.

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
I changed the bulb and there was no change in signal operation, so the old bulb is OK.
You can't say that with certainty, because some are bad out of the package. With water in your lens, you could be blowing the bulb when you turn it on. (If its exposed.) But it does sound like a socket problem is more likely.

Also, you should try testing your hazard lights. If it works with those on, the problem is not your socket.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Ok so I had some success today.

I changed the socket and were back in business. Unfortunately the stores around here couldn't find a direct replacement socket, unless I wanted a Delco one for $90 bucks. I was like no thanks lol.

I bought a general socket that is supposed to fit all GM cars from 1990-2003, but the socket itself wouldn't screw into the turn signal lamp assembly. I just used the plastic interior piece with the prongs and installed it into the original socket. Tested the DRLs, hazards and signal and they all work, so that made me happy.

Although the driver side is currently working, I am going to take that assembly apart, clean everything up, drill 1/4" holes into both plastic lamp assemblies, reinstall with dielectric grease and I plan on using clear silicone around the lamp assemblies to try and limit the amount of water coming in. I thoroughly checked the lamp assemblies and it looks like there are no cracks.

Thanks Ls1tech for your help. Idk what people did before the internet lol
Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Launching!

When I drill a hole in the lamp assembly, do you guys have any recommendations on where I should put it to effectively drain water?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ As low as you can go. Look to see where the water pools and go for that spot.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
^ As low as you can go. Look to see where the water pools and go for that spot.
This^^
i had to replace a socket for the same issue, mine was melted some from it too, looked like it had been eating away for some time. new socket was 37 bucks at advance, but later i found the same one on ebay for 17, sorry dont remember the brand or p/n, but ebay search it, was top couple choices,

Quick Reply: Turn signal issues