Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

74 Nova Turbo Build Advice Plz :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Nova Turbo Build Advice Plz :)

Hi,

to let you know...i do my homeworks (little bit)...I was reading allot of tread about this in allot of forum (Planet LSX, Stevesnova site, here and other). I see a couple of picture for this kind of build....but not find to much info about the setup by itself.

Let me explain. I'm in the process to redo my car (again). I plan to build a Pro Touring nova. I completly redo the interior (corvette seat), Muscle car series gauges (autometer) and a new dash. I'm about to finish to buy my Ridetech Suspension and Will drop the car 2.75 inch on 18 inch wheels.

This is a nice and clean 74 nova (52000 original miles, third owner). Put my engine in my 70 Drag camaro. (421CI 650hp + 200 nitrous)

So I dont need to build a 800hp setup. I want to build a nice, reliable setup at around 500hp.

I find and buy a 2008 Chevy 5.3 engine with 5000miles in it. I have all the ECU, elctronics, fuse box pannel....etc from engine.

I dont want to trow 5000$ in that setup. So there is my plan :

- Keeping the big ugly intake, instead to put a ls6 one (too expensive).
- Probably keeping the camshaft from this engine.
- Put a single turbo setup.
- Buy a well build 4L60E transmission from a usa reputable shop (good for 600hp)
- Buy a Pro-Torque converter.

I know, I have VVT and DOD. Some people said I need to delete them (another 800$ to spend) to install a new camshaft (another 700$ for pushord, spring and camshaft)

I need to have those information for my build and be able to calculate how much money this setup cost to me.

1- Wich headers need to buy (I find some cheepo eBay foward heaers on eBay, see pics attached) or using my manifold truck and swap it ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

2- What size piping I need from my manifold to T4 turbo flange? 2.5 or 3 inch ?

3- What size turbo I need..(all the info possible plz)? (some tread talk about 76mm)
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1534/overview/

4- What size of BOV I need, Best brand for the money (Turbosmart ?)

5- What size of Wastegate, best brand for the money ?

6 - What is the best overall size of intercooler I can put in the front of my car ? (Inlet size..lenght...., what to buy and what I have to be away from (brand)

7 - What size of turbo downpipe ?

8 - What fuel injector size and wich brand (part number if it's possible) to run with my Truck intake fuel rail ?

9 - What RPM Stall converter are you recommend to me ?

10- Do I really need to buy all the Delete Stuff (VVT and DOD) and put a camshaft ? Does it Worth the money ?

11 - What fuel pump I should run (I have a fuel cell in my trunk, for the moment)

12 - And finnaly...who can setup or modified my truck harness to be able to run this engine in my nova ? Any Advice who play with those one with Gen IV engine ?
I plan to put this setup fuel injected....and be tuned on dyno with HP TUNER. I know my guy can delete with the tuned the DOD and VVT)

ONE IMPORTANT THING...I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A/C IN THE CAR...IS THAT POSSIBLE WITH A TURBO SETUP...IF YES..WHAT BRACKET I NEED AND WHAT AC UNIT I NEED TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE

Thanks everyone to taking time again to help someone who tried this kind of setup...your help is really appreciate......

That will help me to not spend money for nothing...and put this money everywhere else to finish my car.

Stephane
Attached Thumbnails 74 Nova Turbo Build Advice Plz :)-74-nova.jpg   74 Nova Turbo Build Advice Plz :)-5.3-vortec.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Here is a great website built from Denmah. He has built 3 Ford Fairmont ls turbo builds at very low cost. Good luck on your build!

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/home
Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

1. You want cheap? Use the stock truck manifolds and flip them forward. You'll need to cut the flanges off since they WO t clear your subframe.

2. 2.25 inch or even 2 inch piping. 2 inch will spool better and won't give up anything noticeable in power.

3. Anything that will make more than 500 HP. 76mm is on the high end since they are often capable of more than 700 whp.

4. Any BOV will work. You don't need anything huge. A standard 50mm from eBay will work since they aren't so critical on cars with automatics.

5. Anything bigger than 38mm.

6. Whatever you can physically fit, 2.5 inch minimum inlet/outlet.

7. Whatever the turbine outlet is sized for.

8. Can't go wrong with 80 lb Siemens deka. Stock GT500 injectors are 200 bucks and are 60 lbs.

9. Use a lower stall than you would N/A. Nobody can accurately answer this since it'll be dictated by turbo and camshaft.

10. If you stick with the stock camshaft it isn't necessary. Delete kits are also a lot cheaper than $800.

11. Single Bosch 044 is best bang for the buck external.

12. There are a few vendors here that sell plug and play harnesses for is conversions. Can't remember off the top of my head and can't look them up since I'm doing this from a phone on the side of a lake.

13. Yes, AC is 100% possible. You can use the stock brackets if you notch the subframe to clear the compressor, or look for a relocation bracket for truck accessories.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Start with these sites/vendors for your basic large parts...

If you're looking for anything less than 650 hp, this GT45 setup will get you there, no problem... and 2-1/4 hot side tubing will spool nicely.

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...86783fa7162e09

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=TRBA

http://www.sho-mespeed.com/

Know that you can always spend more money on stuff, but some things just simply work, even though they're cheap and not name brand.

Also, feel free to use your imagination with your pipe routing. We all have our own opinions on where the turbo should go and we're all looking for new ways to go about it.

A couple things you'll also want to consider...

1) Are you keeping A/C or heater in the car? Where do you want your compressor to go? Know this before you start your piping.

2) Decide if you want pump gas or E-85 fuel to get your power levels, because this will drastically impact your fuel tank/fuel pump investments.

3) Read/Read/Read/Ask Questions/Ask Questions.

4) Be aware that 1st Generation Camaros are very similar to your Nova, and everyone and their mom is building one of those... so look into those builds as well as Novas.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Start with these sites/vendors for your basic large parts...

If you're looking for anything less than 650 hp, this GT45 setup will get you there, no problem... and 2-1/4 hot side tubing will spool nicely.

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...86783fa7162e09

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=TRBA

http://www.sho-mespeed.com/

Know that you can always spend more money on stuff, but some things just simply work, even though they're cheap and not name brand.

Also, feel free to use your imagination with your pipe routing. We all have our own opinions on where the turbo should go and we're all looking for new ways to go about it.

A couple things you'll also want to consider...

1) Are you keeping A/C or heater in the car? Where do you want your compressor to go? Know this before you start your piping.

2) Decide if you want pump gas or E-85 fuel to get your power levels, because this will drastically impact your fuel tank/fuel pump investments.

3) Read/Read/Read/Ask Questions/Ask Questions.

4) Be aware that 1st Generation Camaros are very similar to your Nova, and everyone and their mom is building one of those... so look into those builds as well as Novas.
Thanks for all your answer deer friends.

I'm living in canada..so for the DOD and VVT Delete...with all the parts (head gasket, complete new 16 LS7 lifter...ARP head bolt...etc...the cost is really NEAR 800$ CDN.

I think..it's maybe less costly to put 2 pounds of boost more..than buying a complete Delete kit with a Camshaft ? Your opinion plz ?

The Harness is one of my concern. They said It's DOD and AFM are not inclued in the harness. Is that possible to making this setup witout all the delete stuff....and buy an harness (AND JUST DELETE them WITH hp TUNER ?

Thanks again.....I want to making a list of everyting I need to have a picture of the complete assembly cost !!!

One of my friend telling me this today : with the wiring diagram..I can make your original harness work..I know is good in electronic and everything..but I think a 600$ is well invested with those company who make only wiring harness stuff.....

Stephane
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

For your desired power level, don't spend the money on ARP head studs.

Google "ebay ls1 head studs" - that will save you $200+
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks !!!!

Your input is really appreciate....

Anyone else...... ???
Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The main thing, don't overthink it. Everything you're asking about has been done dozens of times on this very forum. Search this section and the conversions section for Novas, and you'll find dozens and dozens of threads where these same questions have been answered in detail over and over.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks Everyone for all the input.

Will continue to looking for some build on another tread.....will not think to big.....will read, rear, read..and let you know how my process will go further....(pics and everything).

Your help was really appreciate

stephane
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Teching In

For those of you who commented about running AC, is there room to install the condenser with an A/A intercooler? Most intercooler installs I have seen have to do considerable notching of the radiator support just to make the intercooler fit.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blu72nova
For those of you who commented about running AC, is there room to install the condenser with an A/A intercooler? Most intercooler installs I have seen have to do considerable notching of the radiator support just to make the intercooler fit.
You will be cutting the radiator support. You'll want to come to terms with that.
How much of the support is based on if you keep your hood latch or go to hood pins as well as where and how you route your charge pipes from the turbo and to the intake. There are a few novas out there that have done this very cleanly.

I'm running 4th gen f-body radiator and fans. I was running the matching condenser but, because of the way it all mounts together sacrifices a lot of engine to fan real estate. So I'm going to go with a universal one or the Vintage Air one that can fit flush between the radiator core and the intercooler.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
You will be cutting the radiator support. You'll want to come to terms with that.
How much of the support is based on if you keep your hood latch or go to hood pins as well as where and how you route your charge pipes from the turbo and to the intake. There are a few novas out there that have done this very cleanly.

I'm running 4th gen f-body radiator and fans. I was running the matching condenser but, because of the way it all mounts together sacrifices a lot of engine to fan real estate. So I'm going to go with a universal one or the Vintage Air one that can fit flush between the radiator core and the intercooler.
What part number from vintage air..any pics ?

thanks !!

stephane
Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update ?

Quick Reply: 74 Nova Turbo Build Advice Plz :)